Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Schedule Your Projects? >

How Do You Schedule Your Projects?

How Do You Schedule Your Projects?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 PM

I think everyone can say they've had their share of "problems" while working on a project. Try to enjoy the process and envision the finished project. I've had to stop being so "working hard to finish" and replace it with "working to enjoy the process" mindset. Try not to be hard on yourself to just come up with an end result. Hope that helps in some way.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:34 PM

I am the quilt when I feel like it girl. I started a quilt before I was pregnant and finished it 2 years later after the baby was born. I have about 2 almost finished tops that are also around 2 years old. I just started another quilt on top of that so I am the work on it when I am in the mood which is why I don't do quilts for people, they would be waiting forever for me to work on it.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:48 AM

I, usually, have a quilt being cut out, another one pieced and put together, and one hand-quilted/machine quilted and hand binding it. So, usually 3 projects going at one time so that I don't get bored or into trouble ;-).
Old 02-25-2015, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I am trying something new to me this year. I made a list of twelve projects i want to finish this year. So I have one major project a month. When I am tired of that or need a break I work on something else but keeping the major one in mind. So far its working. This month I am finished my rail fence and in Jan I finished a quilt top I started about ten years ago.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:32 AM

I really like to do one project, usually a quilt, at a time, but since I have joined a quilting bee several years ago, I have several smaller or shorter length projects to do -- we do a row quilt, a Christmas quilt, and now spring blocks to draw for , as well as a few other quilts as we choose -- I understand your frustration -- I have an Irish Mist quilt in the last stages of completion from last year (one of the bee's make-your-own projects) in a box, but just can't seem to get back working on it!! -- good luck
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM

I don't schedule anything, I just work on whatever I want and things seem to get done. My work life was very scheduled with stuff, now my retired life is my own and my quilting is to be fun.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I don't really schedule. I usually have about three projects going--all at different stages, so I can choose what I want to do: cut, piece, or quilt. I always have a string block project, so that if I just want to sew mindlessly and play with scraps, I can. Some days, I just cut up scraps. I try not to give myself deadlines, so I can just enjoy the projects and the time I have to spend.
I do about the same, but I have lists showing what needs to be done next on each of the 5 projects I have currently going. It is really nice to cross of a task when it is complete! One project needs to have the quilting finished and the binding put on, one project is to cut 5 pair of jeans into circles to make another jeans quilt, one project is to put binding on a quilt as soon as I get it back from the quilter. When I finish one project I add another to the list. Works for me.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 AM

I don't schedule either. The goal is to finish some UFO's but that does not seem to happen. I find a pattern or fabric that appeals to me and off I go. Then I get distracted by another class at guild or a request for a quilt from someone. I eventually get back on track but those UFO's don't seem to disappear.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:18 AM

I have to schedule my UFOs - otherwise nothing would ever get completed! My UFOs are created when they reach a problem point, rather than tackle the problem, it is much easier to set them aside and start a new project.

For a UFO, I will set goals of so many hours a week or target points to reach that week. To get myself past "the problem," I set a schedule and before long the project is enjoyable again. This works for me and I usually only tackle one UFO at a time. I have not had success at juggling projects as I tend to only work on the one I want to work on.

Good luck with your project.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 AM

Schedule?....LOL.....never.... I may say I will have this quilt done in approximately 6-8 weeks, or I may say I am not starting anything new until I get this one done.....but most of the time I work on quilting when the urge strikes me and that may be everyday (if the quilt is close to completion) or it may be once a week.....I really try to not limit myself at all to any one quilting project unless the budget demands no purchases right now.....I usually have several projects in various stages of construction at any one point.....it allows me 1. to not get tired of one specific quilt if it has become hard 2. start new projects if I find a great new pattern and I have everything I need 3. to always have a "go quilt", one that is ready to go with me on road trips, dr appts, etc. (handsewing) and 4. flexibility if daughter #2 decides she needs new curtains or if granddaughter #5 needs another "bankie" to keep in the car....Hubby doesn't understand, nor does he have to....LOL....I will always have several projects and my sewing room will always be a mess!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: language