Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you start a new quilting group/guild? >

How do you start a new quilting group/guild?

How do you start a new quilting group/guild?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I just started one yesterday! I made a group Facebook page with the info about the group, where the first meeting of us together would be, and to bring ideas for what the group would like to do. I posted on my town's facebook page about it, put a notice up at the local Library and this morning called many of the local churches and asked the church secretaries to tell the ladies. They were all very supportive. I have started two other groups, one knitting and one community program. I want this one to be more informal, no business meetings, budget etc. I have 6 confirmed will be there from the Facebook page. I will make it 7 so that's a group!

Oh forgot to say it will be a tatting group. I have no idea how to tat and want to learn. Someone that shows up will know how so that's all we need or we will learn together.
That's how I learned to knit by forming a knitting group.
Wonderful! We'll have to share ideas. I think that mine will be informal at first too. I just want it to be easy and friendly. Maybe I'm just dreaming though. It's probably a lot more hard work than I think it will be.

I really admire the fact that you started a tatting group without knowing how to tat. Now, that's gumption!

~ Cindy
Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 AM

Oh, we also have a lot of spinners and weavers here. (There's a few sheep ranches in our area.) I'd like to include their wares and expertise in my shop, group, guild. Maybe that will be too complicated.
~ Cindy
Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM

Several years ago, a bunch of quilters (I think there were around 15 of us) who were all members of a large guild decided to start a small guild. We didn't want to copy the large guild, which had a large operating budget and funding which could bring in nationally known teachers, but something small where we could plan meetings around sharing our skills with others by having mini-classes and demonstrations by the members, we planned to have local teachers come in, and we decided to include non-quilting speakers on subjects which were of importance to women, like breast and cervical cancer, heart health, diabetes, personal safety, etc. We had our 4th birthday last August and our membership stays around 55, with about 35-40 who come to the meetings every month. There are only 5 of the founding members still active in this guild, and none of us are officers, but we watch to make sure that the guild doesn't stray too far from the original purpose, which was for quilters to share their expertise with other quilters.

We had a very loose organization for a while, but after about 2 years, we approved by-laws and an organizational structure with officers and committees. We charge $25 a year dues, which helps to pay for the PO Box, the refreshment supplies (paper/plastic goods, bottled water, flavorings, etc.), banking supplies, etc. We distribute a monthly newsletter via email, so there are no printing or postage costs. We have 2 major fundraisers a year -- a raffle quilt and a silent auction -- to pay for the 4-5 local speakers. Since we are in the greater Houston area, the November meeting is always "Look What I Found at the Quilt Festival" meeting, which is always a lot of fun. One monthly meeting is a challenge of sorts but is also a "runway event", where we make an item, then show it. So far, we have done aprons and tote bags. We have a Saturday sew-in at one of the local libraries once a month; we have 3-4 road trips where we visit quilt shops and go to other guilds' quilt shows; and we have a retreat once a year.

Putting
Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 AM

We have a great group here that has basically no bureaucratic structure. We meet and eat and talk and sew and enjoy each other. We sometimes have ongoing projects, we do CASA quilts for donation to kids, we work on our own stuff. We help each other. We are now meeting twice a month, once to eat and talk and once to sew. Good luck with your group. Women supporting women, sewing and sharing, is woven into the history of quilting.

Christine

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Thanks so much for all of the tips everyone. What about the bureaucratic (augh...I hate that part...) part of it? How do you set up the group structure? I'd like to keep things very loose, but I know that's not always such a good idea.

~ Cindy
Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I really admire the fact that you started a tatting group without knowing how to tat.

When I started the knitting group, we sat around a table. I asked who here knows how to knit? One woman raised her hand. I said great, show us how to start. The group met for nine months, we all made a dishcloth, and a baby sweater and one sock. I still see members and they are still knitting. The knitter who taught us started giving knitting lessons at the local Shepard's Center, she didn't know she loved teaching.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 AM

Thank you Putting for the wonderful ideas!

Onebyone...I love that you only made ONE sock....that's so cute! It' amazing that some of you are still knitting. I'd like to include knitting in our group too. Gosshhh...I haven't knitted in years! We have a lot of artisans around here that clip the sheep, dye the wool, spin it and knit the most gorgeous items. I'd really like to get to know some if these people and pick their brains.

~ Cindy
Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Update: The tatting group I started has 14 saying they will be at our first meeting. One lady said her church has a unused room in the back of the church that is never used and her pastor told her we could use it for our group as much as we like. She also said she had a box full of shuttles and tatting needles and supplies and she was glad she found a good use for them. She is bringing her friend who has won ribbons with her tatting. They are both excited about the group and assured everyone on our Facebook page it is fun and easy. One lady is bringing soup and bread and one is bringing cake. I'm so excited!
Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 PM

I read several years ago about a woman who wanted to open a store at a particular place. She put signs out in the neighborhood asking people if they would shop at a store at that location. She received lots of answers, got lots of advice and when she opened her store, had lots of customers. If I were you, I would put a sign on the bulletin board in one of the places people usually gather asking people who are interested in a quilt guild to contact me. Of course, I already know that some board members will be appalled at the idea of making a public announcement about where you live or what your phone number is, but if that worries you too much, give them an e-mail address that you don't use for anything except replies to your inquiry. froggyintexas
Old 04-24-2014, 04:26 AM

Check with your County Extension Office. We started with one night Quilt Group and now have three groups -- the original night group and two day groups. Each group has its own structure.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 AM

Summer is coming. Collect names and towns (addresses if you can get them) from your county fair, area quilt shows, State quilt shows, etc. Then try to trace them in the phone book or online. Ask at the nearest quilt store about local area quilters and their location so you can contact them. I started one almost 25 years ago and it is still going strong.