Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do I Start a Quilting Group? >

How Do I Start a Quilting Group?

How Do I Start a Quilting Group?

Old 12-20-2010, 03:16 PM

I am a seamstress, but new to quilting. There are many things I would like to see done and learn how to do.. The forum is awesome and I thank all of you for the wonderful talent and knowledge. I am learning many great things from you.. I want to join or start a group in my area. There are none close to me. I really don't want to have to drive and hour to join a quilting club. Since there are none in my area, perhaps it would be good to start one.. I have a large sewing room and could at first hold meetings here. I don't have a clue on how to start a group.. Plus I feel I need someone with quilting knowledge to help me since I don't know much.. I have only made 2 quilts and they were baby quilts.. Any ideas or suggestions? Are there certain rules to follow?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Put an article in your local paper and they will come.
Is there a quilt shop in your area.
I started one many years ago. It is not hard and you don't need a lot of quilting expertise to do it. I am sure there will be many comments and suggestions. I will collect my thoughts and write more about how the one was started that i was involved with.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Is there a quilt shop near you? Just post a note on a bulletin board with the idea, set a date and a way for them to contact you. Plan for everyone to bring something to eat or drink, and you may find an experience quilter willing to teach something. If not, just some free quilting time. Many people want to join a group and don't have the opportunity.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:55 PM

Seek out the library people or local school and colleges - they may have something already in place. If not, those are great places to hold meetings.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

You might start here, by asking if any members live near you. I have several that are close by :D:D:D
Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Why not try putting it in your church community notes, or leave a flier at local churches.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Maybe you could get someone from the group closest to you to come speak at your first meeting. Or ask if one of them would come to your group to teach a class.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM

I would start by inviting a few people you know. Be prepared to be the leader and host most or all the meetings unless you set ground rules early. Start with maybe a sampler piece. Think about what hours your meetings will last and where you want to go with this, what is expected as a group member. It kinda evolves from there, that is what I think anyway.