Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you start a new quilting group/guild? >

How do you start a new quilting group/guild?

How do you start a new quilting group/guild?

Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 AM

Default How do you start a new quilting group/guild?

I moved to a new area a couple of years ago where everyone lives far out and away from each other. We have a tiny town where we all meet occasionally to get the mail, etc. I'd like to start a local quilting group, or possibly an official guild, so that I can meet other quilters an share the fun of sewing. There used to be guild in town, but it folded a few years ago. I'm also planning to open a very small quilt shop to carry supplies and a small amount of fabric. Any tips, ideas?

Thanks, Cindy
Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 AM

All it takes is 3 people. Find a place that has the room for the group to grow. Find people/quilters who want to meet other quilters and are welcoming.

Even if you meet in someone's home at first. Start and see how it goes.

If you are opening a store let the class area be the group meeting place at designated times. Be aware that there will always be detractors, so don't expect the new group to be your source of business for your quilt shop. Have fun with it.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:51 AM

Whereabouts on the Mendocino coast are you?

My DH & I love to travel & vacation out there; you'll have to let me know when your store opens so I can come check it out!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:07 AM

Adding on to Alikat's suggestions start with 1 or 2 friends that sew or just want to sew and start with sit and sew type gatherings. Does your small town have a community building of some sort like a library, or club house you can meet in? Post a large sign where people can see it with the days and hours you meet and inviting them to join. Post notices on bulletin boards at the post office, coffee shop wherever people gather. Does your town have a small news paper post notices in that too. Do you belong to the local church or have a friend that wants to sew with you that does, Is there a newsletter that goes out post notices there too.

I imagine it will be slow going at first and as you gather new friends and attendees they will probably have ideas how to make it grow. This may help you decide if your town can even sustain a small quilt shop

One last thought do you know why the last guild folded? Can you find out? Knowing that could help you to avoid making their mistakes.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Put up a sign up sheet on the Post office bulletin board if possible. Give the details and have a spot for people to put down their first name and phone number so you can call them. You can list your first name and phone number too in case they want to contact you. A little notice in your local paper might also help. In the meantime start looking for a free place to meet like the library or church if you don't want to use your home. If you even get one new quilting friend, it's worth it.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 AM

Thanks so much for all of the tips everyone. What about the bureaucratic (augh...I hate that part...) part of it? How do you set up the group structure? I'd like to keep things very loose, but I know that's not always such a good idea.

~ Cindy
Old 04-22-2014, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I just started one yesterday! I made a group Facebook page with the info about the group, where the first meeting of us together would be, and to bring ideas for what the group would like to do. I posted on my town's facebook page about it, put a notice up at the local Library and this morning called many of the local churches and asked the church secretaries to tell the ladies. They were all very supportive. I have started two other groups, one knitting and one community program. I want this one to be more informal, no business meetings, budget etc. I have 6 confirmed will be there from the Facebook page. I will make it 7 so that's a group!

Oh forgot to say it will be a tatting group. I have no idea how to tat and want to learn. Someone that shows up will know how so that's all we need or we will learn together.
That's how I learned to knit by forming a knitting group.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-22-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 AM

Check out meetup.com. That might be an easy way to get started. You can create a meetup group for quilters in your area and see who responds...
Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I have no idea. Just wanted to wish you luck. Sounds like it will be a lot of work but worth it. BrendaK
Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

The group I belong to started with 3 girls. Now we have over 30. We meet at two local churches. It is not a formal group just girls that like to quilt,knit etc. sometime we go to lunch other times we bring brown bag lunch.
Start small,it will grow as people hear about it and come. If you open a quilt shop offer lots of classes and open sewing days.
Good luck with both.