Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you start a new quilting group/guild? >

How do you start a new quilting group/guild?

How do you start a new quilting group/guild?

Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 AM

I'm just jealous that you are living on the Mendocino Coast. I loved the town of Mendocino when I visited it. I think you have gotten a lot of good tips. Best wishes.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Summer is coming. Collect names and towns (addresses if you can get them) from your county fair, area quilt shows, State quilt shows, etc. Then try to trace them in the phone book or online. Ask at the nearest quilt store about local area quilters and their location so you can contact them. I started one almost 25 years ago and it is still going strong.
Yes, I had that idea too. Thanks! Our county fair has a whole building devoted to the wool people and another almost entirely filled with quilts. I've never been to a quilt show. I'll have to make it to a couple over this summer and check it out.

~ Cindy
Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Thanks so much, Seaside Gal. I grew up going to Huntington and Newport every summer, so there ya go. I love it!

~ Cindy
Old 04-24-2014, 01:46 PM

In a small town, I have made a practice of finding the local coffee spot, and go have a long slow cup while I go through the fabric and pattern (which I just happen to carry in with me) that I am thinking about making. That always starts the conversation, and helps me find other local quilters. Good luck and remember to have fun.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 PM

Three friends and I used to go on road trips to get fabric. We decided to get together once a month and I volunteered for the first meeting and made a simple lunch. Since I had room we added two more which is where the problem began. We had originally agreed to stay small, to share hosting and to do sack lunches except for special occasions. All of a sudden one of the new gals invited a friend without asking first. Then no one else wanted to host and lunch was expected. We stopped for the summer and never resumed. All that to say be sure of the ground rules before you get started. What started as a wonderful time ended as nightmare which still hurts me.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 PM

Great timing for this topic. I've been wanting to join or start a group for a long time. There is one lady at my church who asked me to teach her how to quilt. I said I'd love to, but I'm no expert. I can show her the basics. Now I want to put a notice in the bulletin to see if there are others who want to participate in a very informal group. I'm thinking once a month, at least to start. We'll see how it goes!

Good luck with your group!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:47 AM

Thanks, Anne...good luck with yours too. Please keep me informed on how it goes. I won't be starting my group until at least this fall, or later. However, I'm busy as a bee gathering my notes.

~ Cindy
Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 AM

These are all good suggestions aren't they? When our group started we also carried information about our group on coloured paper. We did four notices to a sheet of coloured paper. We kept them in our purses in case we ran into people who might be interested. We also put them in every quilt store within a 75 mile radius. Have fun. A coffee pot and cookies helps.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:09 AM

Yes, a coffee pot with goodies is always a plus. Music is good too! I'm definitely going to start informally and just see what happens. I'd like to have all the textile artists, weavers, sewers, quilters, knitters, fabric painters, etc. A "Textile Arts Co-Op." I'm thinking that one day can be set aside for each group, so there's enough space to spread out. (I wouldn't want the fabric dyers setting up next to the quilters on the same day.) I already have a large space to start in.

~ Cindy
Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Thanks, Anne...good luck with yours too. Please keep me informed on how it goes. I won't be starting my group until at least this fall, or later. However, I'm busy as a bee gathering my notes.

~ Cindy
I'll probably wait until fall, too, because it's so close to summer now that I don't things would get a good start before school is out and people get too busy. I might just make a half-sheet notice to put in the church bulletin that asks if anyone is interested in joining a group. I'll see what kind of response I get and go from there. Or maybe Angelina and I will post a time and day and just see who shows up. Heaven knows I've got plenty on my plate to keep me busy until then!

Good luck!