Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you stay motivated? >

How do you stay motivated?

How do you stay motivated?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:26 PM

How do you gals (and guys!) find the motivation to quilt? I am a stay-at home Mom of 2 young boys (3 and 5) and also work part-time at Jo-Ann Fabrics.
I have so many projects that I want to do... I have tons of fabric...I just can't seem to find the motivation to do any of the work on them..... but I want to get them done!
Help!! What do I do?!?!?! :oops: :oops:
Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

Just start. When I'm not motivated to quilt, I just go into the sewing room and sew a seam, organize more, or cut a piece out. That usually gets me started.
I know when time is limited it's hard to juggle it all.(and since you work with fabric all day there are times when the last thing you want to see is more fabric).

Find a small project to get you going. It will come. Don't fret much over it. You have 2 little ones who treasure you.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 PM

I sew when my dh and son are asleep at night. For some reason that is when my creative juices flow. There have been times when I go weeks without sewing and then go non-stop for two days. Just sew when you feel the urge, but don't force yourself. As a quilter..UFO's or WIP's are expected. So many ideas..so little time!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:40 PM

not sure!! I guess because it is something that I enjoy and want to do. I am not really motivated because I am SO tired all the time I work full time(3rd shift) go to school part time and still have to take care of kids, DH works first. so I try to keep going
Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Every Tuesday my sister and I go to quilting at the church with some other ladies. While I am there, it feels so good. When I come home, I always want to do more. I guess that counts.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I just need to start something. Than I'm OK.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 PM

I have problems being motivated. So I have a couple of tricks that I use.

One is following the thread about weekly goals. And the one about yearly goals. I keep that one pretty simple since I'm a beginner at this.

Then I joined the Newbie Challenge and got myself two Quilting Mommies. That keeps me on my toes. I want to have progress to report to them so I have to keep at it.

Then there is the design wall. I can't walk in there and see a partial quilt hanging there and not want to work on it.

Also I plan quilts according to the use I have for them. So, it's like this. I hated the mirror above my fireplace mantle, so I took it down. Then I planned to put my Sampler Quilt up there. So I have to finish my sampler quilt so that I have something to hang over the fireplace mantle.

Plus I have a rule of working on only one quilt at a time. That means that I have to finish the sampler before I can start on the Geisha Panels that I'm going to make as window quilts.

Anyway that's how I stay motivated.