Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More questions from a newbie >

More questions from a newbie

More questions from a newbie

Old 03-04-2010, 01:59 AM

Hi, I just started quilting and applique a while ago. So far I've been using Steam A Seam for the appliques. I like working with it, but the appliques feel and look stiff, even after washing. Is there something else out there that would dissolve so that the appliques feel like two layers of fabric sitting loosely on top of each other?

Another question, I've been doing quite some rotary cutting and am wondering whether anyone has come up with a construction that would hold the ruler in place while cutting, thus eliminating the pressure on the left wrist.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 AM

maybe double stick tape to hold the ruler to the top layer of fabric when you cut?
Or c-clamps to hold the ruler, fabric and cutting board to the table?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by newbie1001
Hi, I just started quilting and applique a while ago. So far I've been using Steam A Seam for the appliques. I like working with it, but the appliques feel and look stiff, even after washing. Is there something else out there that would dissolve so that the appliques feel like two layers of fabric sitting loosely on top of each other?

Another question, I've been doing quite some rotary cutting and am wondering whether anyone has come up with a construction that would hold the ruler in place while cutting, thus eliminating the pressure on the left wrist.

Thanks!

although i don't use this suction cup, a couple of my friends to..
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...+cup&Submit=Go

maybe that will help and it is cheaper that what they cost any place else.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 AM

soft fuse is wonderful.

When you cut am applique you have traced the shape... now trim the inside of the shape of the SAS so it is just a 1/4 or so.
Then iron to the fabric and cut around the outer lines for the shape... then when you pull off the paper all you have is bonding around the outer edge of the applique... your work will be much softer . Also are you sure you are using the lite sew SAS?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:07 AM

They do have a water soluable stabilizer. I know that at JoAnn's its not with the quilting stuff. Its in a bag and is is called SOLVY made by Sulky. I have some, but haven't worked with it yet. So can't give a testimonial on it!!! :D :oops:

As far as keeping my ruler in place. In the quilting section I've picked up these little rounds that stick to the bottom of the ruler. Some are clear plastic and some have like a sandpaper like feel. Works pretty good!!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 AM

Thanks so far!

No, I am not using the lite SAS, not sure whether I even noticed that in the store! I'll give that a try. Trimming the SAS so that there is only the outer shape sounds like a good idea, then the inside of the applique would be completely without web. I'll try that, too.

I've seen the suction cups, but somehow I think even using one of those or tape etc. wouldn't achieve what I am looking for. My problem is not so much that the ruler slides off the fabric because it's slippery, but it moves when I cut even though I press on it hard. Maybe I press the cutter too much against the ruler?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 AM

I've been told to use emery board. But so far I'm just learning to guide the rotary blade along the edge rather than push into it. That's what usually causes me problems. At least so far. But believe me I'm a beginner.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 AM

ConnieF I saw this done on Nancy Zieman's show on PBS and I thought it was brilliant thanks for reminding me of it.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 AM

It helps to always use a really sharp blade so you don't have to push so hard. Change your blade often.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by tkhooper
I've been told to use emery board. But so far I'm just learning to guide the rotary blade along the edge rather than push into it. That's what usually causes me problems. At least so far. But believe me I'm a beginner.
What is emery board?