Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More questions from a newbie >

More questions from a newbie

More questions from a newbie

Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 AM

I agree backwards is a tricky thing. I'm extremely careful when I do it. Its just like you are suppose click your blade closed after every use and not put it down with the blade out.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 AM

So far I've only cut 2 layers at the most. I really think there is something wrong with that cutter. Or I am a complete idiot and have to take a class on how to hold this cutter!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 AM

your not an idiot! but it does take some practice to cut.. itook a basics class when i first started quilting, and learned alot..

here are some U-Tube shorts on cutting with a rotary cutter, i don't know if it will help, but worth a shot, since we can't be with you!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?...=com.microsoft:en-US&q=how+to+cut+fabric+with+a+rotary+cutter+site:yout ube.com&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=ZC-RS-LaDoHQM7j99PgM&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQqwQwAw#
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
your not an idiot! but it does take some practice to cut.. itook a basics class when i first started quilting, and learned alot..

here are some U-Tube shorts on cutting with a rotary cutter, i don't know if it will help, but worth a shot, since we can't be with you!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?...=com.microsoft:en-US&q=how+to+cut+fabric+with+a+rotary+cutter+site:yout ube.com&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=ZC-RS-LaDoHQM7j99PgM&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQqwQwAw#
Thanks, I've got to run now, but will look at the videos later! I'm already feeling much better and encouraged about this cutting business!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:26 AM

To keep my ruler from slipping, I use the sandpaper dots on the back. It really helps.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:41 AM

I just saw a demo of a Martelli cutting mat that really self hear, an ergonomic rotary cutter and a new kind of ruler that is designed to stay in place. They are really expensive, but probably worth the money for me just in the savings for bad cuts and lousy mats.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
soft fuse is wonderful.

When you cut am applique you have traced the shape... now trim the inside of the shape of the SAS so it is just a 1/4 or so.
Then iron to the fabric and cut around the outer lines for the shape... then when you pull off the paper all you have is bonding around the outer edge of the applique... your work will be much softer . Also are you sure you are using the lite sew SAS?
You can also use a water soluble glue stick around the edges, which will keep the edges in place for you to stitch them, but will wash out.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 AM

The tool advertised on the web site i is for cutting mat boards for picture framing - 69.00 special - the cutter with 2 arms, one cutting and the other a side arm- looks very similar to a cutter I purchased by Fiscars and called Rotary Ruler (cost $70.00 plus shipping) except the Fiscars has only the ruler with cutter. These seem to be hard to find - the first one I saw was in a Wal Mart fabric department for less - but I passed it up thinking I would get one later. (they carry a 12 in. for scrapbooking, etc.). Results - I looked at every Wal Mart I have been in to no avail. I went in on the Fiscars webside, I think, and ordered it. It is 24 inches long with a 45 rotary cutter down the middle. Nice for cutting strips.
misbelle
Old 03-06-2010, 11:05 AM

What size of ruler are you using? Example, you need to cut a six in sq., are you using a 12 1/2 in ruler, or a 6 1/2 or even an 8 1/2 sq ruler. Sometimes you can't control the ruler if it is big and you are cutting a small block. Also I find that the sandpaper circles work well. You can find them at most quilting shops.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:57 PM

After you trace your applique on the Steam-a-Seam, try cutting out the inner portion of the Steam-a-Seam, leaving a 1/4-1/2" to be pressed to the fabric.

I had wrist problems too until I found a suction cup towel bar at Walmart. Works like a charm and is lighter than the one at Harbor Freight.