Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you use the birthing method when you want the backing bigger and to have ....

How do you use the birthing method when you want the backing bigger and to have ....

I have this hugeeeeeee king size tshirt quilt, and the backing is about 5" larger all around. I was thinking it might be easier to just use the birthing method and let the backing stay bigger, and give me that 2.5" of backing fabric for the outer border.

I have looked but couldn't find a tutorial on how to sew this so that the corners will be nice and mitered after I turn the quilt.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me how to sew the corners while it is inside out so that they will lay nicely once I turn it?

Help me please???????
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

You can't miter a turned corner like that. All you can do is grade your fabrics, reinforce the corners with back and forth stitching, trim the points off and turn it. Then use an object like the flat end of a wooden skewer to poke in there and get the best point you can.

Blog Entries
    Check out M*QC self binding baby blanket tutorial on you tube. I can't post the link for some reason from my phone.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Check out M*QC self binding baby blanket tutorial on you tube. I can't post the link for some reason from my phone.
    I've used this method for summer baby blankets but see no reason why this method would not work for your quilt.

This isn't birthing, but it is using the backing to provide binding and mitred corners on the front - you could just make the "binding" wider and call it borders.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5091791_self...d-corners.html

why do they call it that? Just curious.

It's "birthing" 'cuz you'r shoving a big thing through a small opening.

The only thing I can think of is if you sewed each edge to about a 1/4 from the corner, leaving opne a middle section to turn the quilt. That would leave you with extra fabric at each corner to trim. Lay the corner flat and hand sew the miter. Try it with scrap fabric and see if you can work it out. Probably easier to do it the way dunster says.

Missouri Quilt tute for self binding receiving blanket should do the trick
    Face the world with a smile...You never know when someone you meet will need one!"

You guys are so great!!! That MSQC video was exactly what I needed. I would never have found it since it said blanket and I was searching for quilts. Thanks so much!!!! hugs and smilesssss
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast