Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How far would you travel for fabric ?

Upstairs. That's about it. My stash is upstairs and my computer is upstairs.

Lord, please stop me from buying fabric!!! I'm out of control!!!

I have not gone that far to actually buy only fabric, but I have fabric that I purchased in Japan, England, Germany, and several other places in Canada. I only started quilting recently, but have had a love of fabric for a loooong time.
    When my son travels on tournaments, I look up the local quilt stores. There is a nice one in Cambridge Ontario too.
    Patti

Blog Entries
    I always look before travelling for quilt shops on the way and surrounding where I go. I did travel from Alton Towers to Glasgow, it was for a wedding initially. I went to a caravan site in Birmingham and travelled from there to Southhampton for a twiddling class and fabric. How far do you travel for a class? All places in UK .
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Pattia View Post
    I have not gone that far to actually buy only fabric, but I have fabric that I purchased in Japan, England, Germany, and several other places in Canada. I only started quilting recently, but have had a love of fabric for a loooong time.
    When my son travels on tournaments, I look up the local quilt stores. There is a nice one in Cambridge Ontario too.
    Patti
    Oh please do tell me about the LQS in Cambridge. The only fabric I know of is at Len's, hardly an LQS.
    *nudge* *nudge* ... get yourself to Quilts and Calicos and check it out!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    well if it were Exeter, MO (USA) I would say go for it, there is a great shop there! (Probably further then you want to go but great prices- lol)
    http://ozarkcastle.blogspot.com/

I go to Buffao NY twice a year and load up while I am there....Amish country is a great place to buy quality at a cheeper price than most stores I have shopped.

Blog Entries
    Well I travel about 160 miles a several times a year to get fabric that is about $2 a yard cheaper then here!

Blog Entries
    Rebeljane and I have done it a couple of times (over 100klm) but we make a day of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I always look before travelling for quilt shops on the way and surrounding where I go. I did travel from Alton Towers to Glasgow, it was for a wedding initially. I went to a caravan site in Birmingham and travelled from there to Southhampton for a twiddling class and fabric. How far do you travel for a class? All places in UK .
    Please advise "what is twiddling"? thanks from a yank!
    Penny (Scotlass)

When I lived in FL, I drove to MaryJos Fabric store in Gastonia NC at least twice to shop. I have also gone on day long shop hops where we drove to 5-6 stores across the state. Just depends. MaryJos...yes, it was worth the trip and the gas. I would love to go again sometime. Now its a bit further, since i live in Indiana

As far as classes go...the best and farthest I traveled for a class was to go from FL to California to attend Asilomar. I had 4 1/2 days in a class room with the teacher of my choice, Gai Perry..it was MARVELOUS and I do hope I am so lucky to get to go again! I did have free air fare though, as I had bumped myself off a business flight and so had free ticket. All I had to pay for was the seminar itself. It rather spoiled me for taking 1/2 day or day long classes!
    Last edited by qltgrose; 12-01-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: just wanted to add more info, missed part of original post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast