Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to get the "sticky" off >

How to get the "sticky" off

How to get the "sticky" off

Old 11-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Lighter fluid is nothing more than Naptha - the same thing your local dry cleaner uses to remove tough stuff. Test a spot. It washes out quickly using warm water and laundry detergent.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:13 AM

Definitely lighter fluid. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and posted it to this board. I had MANY replies with various products which I tried with no results -- until I tried the lighter fluid as a last result. Voila! It worked wonders immediately. I then washed the squares I was working on with a mild liquid soap in lukewarm water and let them air dry. Not a speck of residue remained. I wish you luck with getting rid of all your residue!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 AM

I've had success with putting the fabric in the freezer for awhile and then "rolling" the sticky stuff off. I'm really hesitate to use chemicals on fabric. I wish you luck.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM

Just got my 4 oz. spray bottle of citrus stuff down. Mine came from a Sherwin Williams paint store in MI. It is called Quick' n Kleen and the label says it removes adhesives, tar and a lot of other stuff from carpets clothes. Of course test before using on your whole item.
Just used it on my hands to get some canned foam off, it does leave a slight shiny coating even though I washed with Dawn.
Have had the bottle for ages and still have 1/3 left, bought it at $2.49. Made by Liberty Technologies from Bay City MI, less than an hour from me. And it is Earth Friendly to boot, no more sticky foam on me*Ü*
Old 11-24-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by joysewer View Post
This will sound strange but it's safe and worth a try. Peanut butter removes gum so it might remove tape residue. Also, ice will harden gum so that it can be scraped off so that is a safe try also.
I wouldn't try Peanut butter it's very oily and will probably leave a grease stain
Old 11-24-2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
I actually bought Carbona for grease stains on my kitchen chairs at the supermarket in the household cleaners section. They have many many different types for each kind of stain you have. I don't know if they have one for goo, but it's worth checking into.
I use the Carbona #1, for glue, gum and nail polish. It's worked great for all of the previous mentions and getting sticky labels off jars ect. I always keep 2 bottles in the house.
Jeri
Old 11-24-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by joysewer View Post
This will sound strange but it's safe and worth a try. Peanut butter removes gum so it might remove tape residue. Also, ice will harden gum so that it can be scraped off so that is a safe try also.
Joysewer you sure brought back memories of removing gum from my daughters and Grand daughters hair lol, thanks for the memories!
Jeri