Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to help please: Making diamonds for border >

How to help please: Making diamonds for border

How to help please: Making diamonds for border

Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM

I want to make a border of diamonds the picture is a sketch of finished size 2" x4" .
Does anyone know of an easy way to make them or am I stuck cutting out them 1 by 1 and adding triangles?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203137.jpe  
Old 05-27-2011, 01:11 PM

Why not draw out and then copy on your printer and pp them? Just remember to add a 1/4" around the block for the seam allowance.

If you need help with that PM me your e-mail and I can send you the block from EQ.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Why not draw out and then copy on your printer and pp them? Just remember to add a 1/4" around the block for the seam allowance.

If you need help with that PM me your e-mail and I can send you the block from EQ.
I thought about that but I am really bad at paper piecing. :-) That is an option though. I will keep your offer in mind . I am sure your EQ will be closer to measurements than my drawing. Thank you.
I figured there were quick ways of peicing just about everything I thought someone would know of a way to do diamonds. <g>
Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM

Well, think about this...

A diamond has parallel sides, so if you can get the angle right you could use a rotary cutter to cut strips out of fabric, then cut the angle. It would be a series of parallelograms, you know?

(It works in my mind...I dunno if it works in real life...)

The triangles on the outside though? No idea...
Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Maybe join 2 flying geese units? There would be a seam down the center. There are lots of quick methods out there to make them if you can scale them correctly.
Edited to Add:
If you get a copy of "The Border Workbook" by Janet kime, she has this border, called diamonds, done using a strip piece method.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes pieced borders. She has lots of borders and detailed instructions on how to make the border fit YOUR quilt so the corners come out right!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:38 PM

There is what is called Triangle in a Square template, and I think Eleanor Burns has a template for it. (Or someone has as I've seen it in catalogs.) Basically you can do it yourself. Make your square the size you need. Find the middle of one side, then draw lines from it to the opposite corners. Reverse the pooint of the triangle in the next square. Sew the two squares together with the base of the triangles matching and you will have a diamond.

I hope this helps you. If you need clarification, let me know.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:55 PM

What about the "Tri-Recs" tools from EZ Quilting. They work fairly well and you can cut strips then cut the correct size triangles!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 PM
MTS
Banned

There are many,many ways to piece that border. Some have been mentioned above.

I usually piece them with setting triangles - you can see the units outlined in blue below. You have the diamond shape (as one piece of fabric), and then setting triangles just as you would if you were dealing with squares (although the shape is different). But you do have to deal with some bias.

Another option would be to paper piece it. This would guarantee that your angles are perfect, and the diamonds meet tip to tip.

A foundation like the one below could be used. Just cut the corners over-sized. Then you can trim the unit to a perfect rectangle of 2.5" x 4.5".
If you leave the paper on while you're putting together the border, it should keep it stable and straight. Also, you wouldn't have any fabric in the seam allowance (always a plus) to struggle taking off.

And you wouldn't need a special ruler.

Like I said, there are many, many different methods.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203151.jpe   attachment-203152.jpe  
Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Maybe join 2 flying geese units? There would be a seam down the center. There are lots of quick methods out there to make them if you can scale them correctly.
Edited to Add:
If you get a copy of "The Border Workbook" by Janet kime, she has this border, called diamonds, done using a strip piece method.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes pieced borders. She has lots of borders and detailed instructions on how to make the border fit YOUR quilt so the corners come out right!
Found the book at a good price too. I will get it next week when I get my check. It looks like a wonderful book.
I am getting away from pattern books and looking for more instruction books. Thank you for the recommendation
Old 05-27-2011, 03:02 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I am taking Sewcrafty up on her offer of the paper piecing pattern. One day maybe I will invest in an EQ. This will help me get it done this weekend. Unless of course the rest is like today. I really got my exercise going up and down the stairs. My brother had someone finishing the flower beds out front since he hurt his wrist when he dropped his bike. I kept having to go supervise. I like supervising. Its cooler. LOL And cleaner. Although I don't mind gardening just can't do the heavy work anymore. Thanks again this board is the best!!!