Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to measure 1/4" seam??? >

How to measure 1/4" seam???

How to measure 1/4" seam???

Old 07-26-2015, 05:10 AM

Sew on an index card. From one line to the next, it's 1/4". Then you can tell whether you need to adjust. Hope this helps!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

coopah, that is true, but no matter how much is on the "right" side of the needle, doesn't matter if the piece itself isn't the correct size. I know not everyone sews to such precision. I don't most of the time, especially with rail fence quilts, but, if it matters, the part that matters is the inside, not the outside. Am I clear as mud? Dunster said it upthread better than I can.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:14 AM

Just throwing it out here but, if the difference is the size of one thread, it should not be making that much difference in the outcome. Especially if all the blocks are coming out one thread smaller. If all the blocks are coming out the same size the pattern should work just one thread smaller. Does that even sound English?? In my head it made sense!! LOL. If you have a quilt, that is 10 blocks across, each block is one thread off (it's a given that different thread will be different thickness) that would equal 10 threads, approximately a quarter inch or so. Over the whole width of the quilt, 1/4" should not make that much difference.

Sometimes, we are sooooo concentrated on that one tree, we miss the whole beauty of the forest.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:23 AM

I found using Bonnie Hunter's seam guide to mark my 1/4" works very well. She has them for sale on her blog.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:29 AM

What works for someone does not always work for others I've found out. Some cottons are thinner than others so when you fold a seam to one side, it takes up less room than heavier cottons. My machine's foot has a little looseness so that can make a seam off too. While any little thing doesn't matter much, a lot of little things can really get your measurements off. I think you have to figure out what it takes to stitch a 1/4" seam on your machine, using your rulers, and your markers.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Just throwing it out here but, if the difference is the size of one thread, it should not be making that much difference in the outcome. Especially if all the blocks are coming out one thread smaller. If all the blocks are coming out the same size the pattern should work just one thread smaller. Does that even sound English?? In my head it made sense!! LOL. If you have a quilt, that is 10 blocks across, each block is one thread off (it's a given that different thread will be different thickness) that would equal 10 threads, approximately a quarter inch or so. Over the whole width of the quilt, 1/4" should not make that much difference.

Sometimes, we are sooooo concentrated on that one tree, we miss the whole beauty of the forest.
I'm a new quilter and I'm not making anything fancy - just a Warm Wishes. I sewed my first block (before this thread started) and when I pressed it, it was somewhere between 5 1/2 and 5 3/4 inches instead of 6 inches. I was supposed to cut my large fabric pieces 6" square and I almost said "the heck with it". Meaning I'd figure out the average size that I was under and cut all my large fabric pieces that size instead. But then I thought that I am obviously doing something wrong and I should try and figure out what it is.

When it's a different type of quilt, I agree that the small size difference isn't that significant. In fact, probably most of my previous quilts were off a bit. But this time I actually noticed it and decided to figure out what I was doing wrong.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post

The one thread difference would be in EACH SIDE of EACH PIECE of the block. So if you have a patchwork block with many pieces in it, the shortage would be one thread multiplied by however many seams are in the block. Then multiply THAT shortage by how many blocks you have. The shortage in inches can add up quickly.

Cari