Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Much Sewing Time on Average? >

How Much Sewing Time on Average?

How Much Sewing Time on Average?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 AM

I don't know that I have an "average." Some days I don't do anything at all quilt related. Some days I'll sew most of the day. It depends on whatever else I have to do. Some days I'm lucky to have the energy to clean up the kitchen and feed the hubby!!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks for all your responses ladies! I can see why it takes me so long to finish a project, considering how little time I sew each week. I am looking forward to a productive year as I am devoting more time daily to my sewing room (even if only a half hour or so.) Sounds to me like I can look forward to many more hours of sewing once these little kids of mine grow up and move on! (Not to sound too eager. I am enjoying my kiddos, even if they do crimp my crafting time!)

Funny how we go in spurts, some of us depending on the season, some depending on other demands on our time or just inspiration. I had to ask though, my hubby and I were talking about my hobby and he was saying I spend more time than the average quilter quilting - I emphatically disagreed and, as usual, I am right!!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
I have been wondering for a while now... On average, how much time do you folks spend sewing each day/week? I think I average around 3-4 hours a week. Judging by my pile of unfinished stuff, not enough time!!! How about you??
I'm about the same. I rarely have time on week nights to sew, and sometimes I don't even have time on weekends, and certainly not in the evenings. So on good weekends, I might get 2 hours each day.

My company has a "shut down" over the holiday and I was home from the 24th to the 2nd!! WHAT JOY!! My husband would come home and think that because I had "all that time" I would have had more done (like vacuuming, or ... dinner <g>) but NO. I needed some ME time and by golly I took it. I *almost* completed a project. I was sooo spoiled!!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

10-40 hours a week probably === i work on projects during breaks at work- i sew or quilt when i get home until time to fix dinner (usually allows 1-2 hours) then i sew for about an hour & 1/2 after dinner then stop to watch Jeopardy--sometimes if i'm really into what i'm working on i go back to the sewing room for another hour--sometimes i have a hand project to sit & work on while watching tv...since my day starts at 4:30am- i go to bed fairly early- but sometimes that lets me get in a bit of time in the morning too.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 PM

I generally try to get in about 3-4hrs. each day. Sometimes when I'm really lucky I'll quilt all day and most of the night.