Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Much Sewing Time on Average?

Question How Much Sewing Time on Average?

I have been wondering for a while now... On average, how much time do you folks spend sewing each day/week? I think I average around 3-4 hours a week. Judging by my pile of unfinished stuff, not enough time!!! How about you??
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

I try to get in at least a 3-4 hours a day. so on average about 30 hours a week, I am trying to shoot for more time now that the boys are back in school from the Holiday break.

Power Poster
    Some days I don't machine sew at all. I might be working on cutting fabric or embroidery work. I usually do a couple of hours of quilty/sewing work a day. If I'm working on a quilt, I sometimes spend 4-5 hours a day until I either complete the project or until something else diverts me from my task. Of course all my sewing time is interspersed with my breaks to check in with QB. For some reason my family still expects me to feed, cloth and clean the house too. I haven't been able to break them of that habit.

Not enough! I tend to think 'Oh I'll have a sewing day today' and then get caught up with chores or distracted by family/friends (not that that part is a bad thing!)

There is basically too much to do each day and I tend to 'let go' of my sewing time before anything else.
    Quilting is my vice

Live well, laugh often, love much

Blog Entries
    It depends ~ life, mood, commitments, and deadlines. I am lucky ~ I am a Domestic Goddess and can sew whenever I want (or don't want). I have been known to be in my sewing room all day, but then there have been times that I have not been in my sewing room for a week or more.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Most of my quilting is by hand so I manage 1 - 2 hours most evenings - if I'm doing something on the machine it is confined to a Friday and a little time on a Saturday

A couple of hours at night, maybe. With a 3 year old, time is precious so I don't usually sew during the day unless she is at MDO or playing really well alone. But I also have chores around the house so basically when I have nothing else to do. lol

Though hubby is good on some nights and will watch Little Bit so I can sew for more than an hour. He let me redo a skirt last night. I made one but it was too small (first one I ever made) so I wanted to cut out another one and try again.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how much time I spent but I do know it's never enough time, lol.

Blog Entries
    This time of year I get to spend more as the weather is not good and so I can quilt (sew) until my hands start hurting! I am in the middle of FMQ a quilt for my husband. The quilt is heavy so my hands get tired after a couple of hours. But I can go back later in the day and sew another couple of hours. I am also working on a breast cancer (pink) quilt for our niece. It is a log cabin made with a focus fabric and black and white logs. Should be real pretty when done!! Spring and summer I am busy with my flower gardening and don't get as many hours in quilting.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Blog Entries
    I'm in the boat with Tartan. The nerve of these men and boys wanting food and a clean house. Also see to an 89 yr. old sister in the nursing home. No time. Not much sewing done and I have a big quilting machine upstairs waiting on me and at least 6 large tops to quilt. Oh, me

depends on how active I am in my sewing, I can do several hours a week and then not sew for 3 months or more. When I am active in a project I would say 3-5 hours per week, more if I have a deadline

I typically spend 3 hours a day , a bit more on weekends. I have a TV in my sewing space , so after dinner I retreat to my sewing room.

It would be a lot more if I wasn't working full time, wasn't so tired at the end of the day and there was cable TV in the sewing/computer/misc room.

If we had cable up there, I'd sew and watch at the same time. I watch a lot of news/commentary/political programming and end up sitting downstairs watching (feeling guilty of course that I should be upstairs sewing - but then again some nights I just don't have the energy).

I probably average 2 hours a night during the week. If there is a football game on TV on the weekends, I can quilt for at least 3-4 hours a day. DH will need to find another sport to watch on the weekends so I can quilt in peace!

I quilt on Thursdays from 11 to 4pm each week with a group of ladies. Then I read quilt books, magazines and look at my patterns and quilt blocks for another 10+ hours a week. Then I sew on something quilt related about 4-5 hours a week. Never enough time to quilt. Had a good reputation for a spotless house, good cooking etc. Gone now !~!

Everybody is going to give different times because everybody has different pressures on their time. Last year, I really pushed to work on quilting every day for 1 hour. Not enough, but I progressed on days I ordinarily would not have. This year, I'm pushing myself to 3 hours a day to push through finishing all these UFOs (caused by startupitis). It's a goal anyway. I am disabled and decided this year to start scheduling my days a bit to accomplish more (including exercise). When I worked full time, I think I only quilted 3-4 hours a week and then, not even every week.

Not nearly as much time as I spend on the computer! There are just so many fascinating things to read about on this board and others that I use time I wish I had spent stitching or quilting.
    Betsy in MA

I sew in my LR, so I have a TV and its the heart of our home. DH only works til 1PM, so he is a great help with domestic chores that I don't get to doing b/c of my quilting Love him. My boys are older so they don't demand a lot of my attention.

WHAT??? How can someone quilt and watch TV? I can't even quilt and chew gum at the same time! LOL

I do about 3-4 hours a day on the weekends - including planning/design, fabric and equipment purchases, setting up the workspace and cleaning it up before weekly housecleaning.
    Occasionally I have the physical strength and mental focus to do a little real quilting on a weeknight after work, but not often.
    My children are grown and my DH has his own interests (fishing from March through November) so we are empty nesters. I have only my vegetable garden demanding my attention, and I am afraid that since I took up quilting a year ago, the weeds and woodchucks are whooping it up more than when I patrolled the rows day and night and no weed bigger than 1/2" got in the beds.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Sadly, right now I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours a month. Hopefully after I finish the never-ending-room-switch I'll be able to dedicate more time to playing with my stash.

Cheers, K

Usually 2 - 3 hours per day,more if I really get caught up in a project. I don't quilt but love to sew purses, make some clothing and in general putter around in my room. I'm trying to get back to machine embroidery so that is going to take up some time. There's only DH and I and if I don't cook he's capable of finding the fridge.
    Debra

I'm retired so I usually spend about 3 hours a day quilting. Every once in a while I take a day off.

I don't spend enough time sewing, but I do spend a tremendous amount of time thinking about sewing.

Blog Entries
    I belong to two quilt guilds and two quilt groups, those are all day with lunch. I go to sew days three times a month, all day with lunch. I volunteer to teach a community quilt class one day a month. When I'm home I have all afternoon to sew. I do my housework/errands in the morning and then sew the rest of the day. I make a light dinner for DH and myself and then usually sew or read or maybe watch a tv show until I get sleepy. DH spends the evenings doing his favorite past time, woodworking in his shop or reading in his chair with a sport game on. It's so nice to have all the kids grown and gone. LOL
    Got fabric?

Whenever I want and as long as I want. Have been quilting since about 1976. The older I got the more time I had for my passion. Raised 4 children, and live alone now. If I go 2 days without going in my sewing room, I have withdrawals!! I started a log cabin quilt Dec. 19th and finished piecing the top Jan. 2nd it is 94x112. I belong to 3 quilting groups also.
    Enjoying my retirement!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast