Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How much SID do I need?

I'm making a Bento Box quilt. I've SID around each 6 inch square. Is this
    enough or does it need more? I'm using Warm and White (Warm & Natural
    bleached). What do you think? This quilt is a gift so I'm a little nervous. LOL

I tend to be a minimalist quilter but I think I'd do a second echo round midway inside each box.

I did a Bento and quilted around both squares 1/4 in from seams. My DGS uses this quilt everyday, it has been washed often and is still looking new. I also used warm and white.

Blog Entries
    All batting has a different minimum requirement, I make sure and follow that :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Warm and Natural can be quilted up to 10 inches apart.

Yes, you can quilt up to 11 inches apart with warm and natural. I think every 6 inche sis better though. Can't wait to see pictures of the finnished quilt.

the density of your quilting is always dependant on the batting you use- if your batting says the recommendation is every 2"-4" (quite dense quilting) and you only quilt every 6" after a few washings you will find the batting has pulled apart-balled up- made unsightly lumps-
    if the batting says the recommendation is to quilt up to every 10" apart it probably has scrim (which is a layer the batt is adhered to) and will not pull apart as easily-
    the recommended quilting distance does need to be in all directions- there should not be long sections (longer than the recommendation) left unquilted- such as leaving the sashing strips the length of the quilt not quilted or something like that-
    as long as vertically and horizontally there are quilting stitches with in the recommended distances it should be ok-
    warn and natural is one that allows up to 10" apart- which allows fairly little quilting- large designs...but you should always check the batting package and purchase what is going to work for the design/density you want to use.

Blog Entries
    The warm and natural says to quilt or tie up to 10" apart, so density should not be an issue.

Thanks for your replies. I think I'm covered. :-D