Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often to have machine serviced? >

How often to have machine serviced?

How often to have machine serviced?

Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 PM

Default How often to have machine serviced?

I had a Viking sewing machine for over 40 years. It saw me through a lot of sewing with little complaint. I cleaned out the lint and oiled it regularly and only took it in for service less than half a dozen times. I just had a cracked gear replaced, gave it to my grand daughter and bought a Bernina 380 so I could do blanket stitch applique. I have had it just over a year and because my husband is ill, been in the hospital and rehab for a month, I missed the first anniversary complimentary servicing. They told me if I missed the birthday, I am out of luck--no mail or internet reminder. My question is, how often should you have these new machines serviced? It costs $90 if there are no problems and they keep it a while. How often is really necessary? Because my husband has advanced Parkinson's and Parkinson's dementia, I can never leave him alone, so it is hard for me to take it in. Caregiving is hard, but I don't want to do the machine damage. Now and again I am able to work on a quilt--it is my little bit of sanity.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:46 PM

I think it depends on how much you use it and how much you keep up with keeping it clean. I think an annual regular cleaning/ maintenance is a good idea, but many machines can go much longer if you regularly brush out the lint and oil it if it is the kind of machine that the user oils.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:40 AM

Call the shop and explain the situation. They are human and hopefully will have a bit of compassion since you are not that far past the Birthday. If they are less than accommodating I would be hard pressed to give them more of my money. JMHO.

Caregiving is very hard, I hope your dealer makes it a bit easier for you.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 1530 which is still going strong (from the 90s). I use to have my baby serviced yearly but I let it slide to about 18 to 24 months. This last check up was way overdue but difficult for me to get it in for servicing (don't drive being disable). I am not sewing as many hours I use to. DSM are a lot like cars. How far would you stretch an oil change if you weren't driving as often?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:43 AM

It depends on how much you use it. I am a medium user and have my machine serviced once a year.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:09 AM

I've never owned a Bernina, and after reading your posts, probably never will, I think that is really crappy on their part to not honor the anniversary complimentary servicing due to your circumstances. Bless you, I too am a caregiver and can relate. In answer to your question though, I think on any kind of machine, as long as you clean and oil regularly, it should be fine. I even oil my "no oil" machine, just a drop on the bobbin casing, and it sure makes a difference, runs much better, smoother, and quieter!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I clean my machine (Baby Lock) regularly and unless there is an issue, I don't take her in any longer. She runs just fine on my basic maintenance. My machine goes to the doc for a checkup every 2-3 years.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Just an update. The person I spoke to at the store where I purchased my Bernina said that they could not honor the birthday cleaning because it was past the birthday date. I did explain my situation and she said that it was out of their hands because Bernina pays for the birthday service. I emailed Bernina and got a reply this morning that it is the dealer that is responsible for the birthday cleaning. I called the dealership and asked for the manager and explained my situation and what I was told, then read the response from Bernina. She backed down and said to bring it in and they would take care of it. The problem is not Bernina. I really like the machine. The problem is with the dealership. I had a few issues at the time of purchase and I know others have had problems too. I did want a Bernina and there are only two other dealerships for Bernina in my state and they are both a distance to drive. The dealer I purchased my Bernina from is only ten minutes from my home. Anyway, at this point it looks like things are resolved. It takes seven to ten days before I get my machine back and I will miss it, but I think you are all right that a regular cleaning and servicing is the right thing to do. One final point, I think that the dealership should send a notice or email reminder of the anniversary date. This dealership has a corner on the market and I guess they don't have to adhere to good business practice.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Totally agree. If they will take it for you, maybe you can get someone to take it in for you and then the service will give you a call or you can write a note with what needs to be done if you're having any problems.
Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Call the shop and explain the situation. They are human and hopefully will have a bit of compassion since you are not that far past the Birthday. If they are less than accommodating I would be hard pressed to give them more of my money. JMHO.

Caregiving is very hard, I hope your dealer makes it a bit easier for you.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

OK, I posted before reading all the posts. If I were you when I have to write anniversary dates down for any servicing, I write on a sheet of note paper dates needed for the next year on the last page of the last month of the calendar. Then when I get the new calendar, I can take that note and put the dates in where needed. If I need an appt. for any reason say in June, I make a notation in May to call ahead. Works for me.