Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How perfect does your FMQ have to be? >

How perfect does your FMQ have to be?

How perfect does your FMQ have to be?

Old 11-12-2015, 05:51 PM

I had bearding only on one fabric and it had a looser weave
Old 11-12-2015, 08:08 PM

I was thinking 'at sharp turns' right before I read your post. Yup, I run into that problem, too. No, I don't take it out because - well, it's a lot of work! And, I've found that it kind of 'disappears' after washing.

If the eyelashes are big, then, yes, they come out.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:26 PM

I am with you on this if you ripped out you would never finish just keep plugging away and I would almost bet that
you will see fewer eyelashing as you continue.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:07 AM

My motto is if it really bothers you take it out. If you can live with do so.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:51 AM

Experience speaking here - It is probably a tension problem. I had one that I didn't know was making eyelashes until I was done. Oh dear, I had to keep that quilt because I was too ashamed to give it away and too lazy to take it out!
Old 11-13-2015, 09:04 AM

I am of the opinion that striving for perfection in FMQ is not something that should be dwelt upon too long. Yes, eyelash problem sounds like a tension solution and easily resolved. My first FMQ was, to put it mildly, a disaster and my seam ripper and I got much too close. After practicing and practicing and more practicing I can say that I'm pretty happy with my FMQ now. Making pictures with the thread in negative space is something I love to do. I find that if I relax, my shoulders aren't even with my the top of my ears, I do much better. It is quilting, not open heart surgery, and we need to remind ourselves of that and not strive for perfection. God only asks that we do our best to be good people, He doesn't want us being goofs. He already knows we're goofs, so have fun!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 AM

I agree with the posters who said eyelashes all over are tension, but eyelashes on corners or curves only are speed. I had to learn to not speed up on curves, and it definitely took some practice. My "trick" when doing a corner or point is to hesitate there just for an instant to make sure the needle goes in the fabric right at the point. Then I can change direction without eyelashes.

In general, my FMQ looks an awful lot better after washing the quilt LOL! Many defects of imperfect stitch length and other issues just aren't visible after the quilt crinkles up a bit. I don't quilt for shows and I don't quilt arty wall hangings that are never washed, so I am happy with my non-perfect quilting.

Pam
Old 11-13-2015, 04:20 PM

Something that has helped me is to put a teflon bobbin genie under your bobbin. It helps so the bobbin doesn't spin too fast when going around curves which then results in eyelashes. I don't know if they work for front loading bobbins - mine is a drop in bobbin.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:47 PM

I found the easiest way for me to slow down is to quilt in my bare feet. I have no clue why this works, but I have much less errors or lashes since I started doing this.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:17 PM

I consider eyelashes to be improperly formed stitches & they are one of the very few things I was taught to pull out.

I took the opposite approach of most here. Instead of slowing down my hands, I speed up the speed pedal going around a curve. Either way works -- just have to match your hands and the machine speed. I just couldn't figure out how to get nice smooth tight curves (e.g. 1/2" feather tip) while moving my machine slowly. On long winding curves, I agree that slow is better. For tighter curves, if you can't get them the right shape while moving slow, try pressing the speed pedal just a little bit more as you go around those curves & then let up again to slow down hands & foot as you come out of the curve.

PS -- For the batting ... what kind did you use? Some batts have a top & a bottom side. You might check to see if that's indicated on the packaging.

Last edited by Bree123; 11-13-2015 at 09:24 PM.