Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How perfect does your FMQ have to be? >

How perfect does your FMQ have to be?

How perfect does your FMQ have to be?

Old 11-12-2015, 01:52 PM

Default How perfect does your FMQ have to be?

Why I'm asking is because I have an older bernina without a stitch regulator. Mostly I'm pretty good now, but there is a bit of eyelashing every so often. Can it even be helped if I'm quilting a queen sized quilt on this machine? If I rip these out every time I'll never finish anything. If they don't seem to be loose enough to catch on anything and rip out later is it OK to leave these? I know I'm suppose to slow down around curves, but if I'm human how can I get every curve right?
Old 11-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I have quilted on my Bernina 1530 since the late 90s and I never had any eyelashes. I use the Mettler silk finished thread and Schmetz 14 needle. I would first check your tension. If you are speeding, I would slow down a bit because you could be moving the quilt faster than the machine can stitch. Yes, I myself am a perfectionist and I would take them out. Just being honest.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:07 PM

I may be way wrong here, but I believe eyelashing is a tension problem, for the most part. If the eyelashing is on the backside, you will need to tighten the top tension (mine usually 8-9). As for what you have already done, yes, it needs to be "undone". Where you see the eyelashing, the thread is just laying on top of the fabric and probably not just on the curves....so it is pretty easy to rip out. If you don't fix it now, I am afraid you will be unhappy later.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Also check to see if the eyelashing is only on curves. This is a common issue if you go to fast on curves.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

If the eye lashes are tiny, after washing the quilt they will disappear. If the eyelashes are long then I would re do the quilting. Slow down in the curves and always do a test sandwich to check your tension. Don't be afraid to alter your bobbin tension too, just take a picture of the screw position before moving it.

With that being said, the quilting is supposed to hold the three layers together. Does it do that? Some just tie their quilts so even loose stitches should hold as well as tying.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Also check to see if the eyelashing is only on curves. This is a common issue if you go to fast on curves.
That's the problem I've had. If I just remind myself to go slowly on the curves, I"m okay. No eyelashing.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If the eye lashes are tiny, after washing the quilt they will disappear. If the eyelashes are long then I would re do the quilting. Slow down in the curves and always do a test sandwich to check your tension. Don't be afraid to alter your bobbin tension too, just take a picture of the screw position before moving it.

With that being said, the quilting is supposed to hold the three layers together. Does it do that? Some just tie their quilts so even loose stitches should hold as well as tying.
Yes they are mostly tiny. If I take your advice there really won't be much I have to redo. I know it's those corners. Part of the design I'm trying to do is FMQ straight up and down lines and all of that looks fine, so it is turning corners and wanting to go too fast. And I got concerned about it and started looking at it under a magnifying glass which is really just torturing myself I guess.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:12 PM

I want to ask something else. Does the batting every show through on the front? I think it may be a problem on this quilt for just one of the fabrics in it.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:11 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Why I'm asking is because I have an older bernina without a stitch regulator. Mostly I'm pretty good now, but there is a bit of eyelashing every so often. Can it even be helped if I'm quilting a queen sized quilt on this machine? If I rip these out every time I'll never finish anything. If they don't seem to be loose enough to catch on anything and rip out later is it OK to leave these? I know I'm suppose to slow down around curves, but if I'm human how can I get every curve right?
Just to let you know I have an old Bernina 1530 and like the FMQ from it as well as I like the Bernina 830 that I have. I hate the stitch regulator on the 830. If you have eyelashes you are probably moving too fast. Slow down and enjoy the process.

Last edited by grammysharon; 11-12-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Do you mean the battingius bearding on the front? I have never had that problem with a batt. Or is the colour of the batt showing through a dark fabric? If so, I think the fabric is too thin.