Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to sandwich quilt

Blog Entries

Question How to sandwich quilt

I live alone and find I sometimes need to make a sandwich at home. Living in a cottage m rooms are small with not enough space to quilt in 1 go.
    Would it be better to use spray glue or to pin or stitch the sandwich
    Finished is better than a UFO

I prefer spray glue over any of the other options.
    So far I haven't had any problems with it coming apart as I work.
    I'm sure if I pinned ... I'd catch the pins in the machine or in the other pins!
    And if I basted ... I'd have to take the stitching out, and I don't like extra work!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

that is of course a personal decision- some people really like to spray baste- you do need to have ventilation= protect surrounding areas from over-spray but i think you can do it in sections which may be easier when space is limited.
    i hate pinning- (mainly because then you have to work around all those pins & take them back out-ugh!
    i mainly thread baste-
    some people have figured out how to baste their sandwich using a dining table- do a search for tutorials on basting your quilt in small areas. there are a couple u-tube videos that show some good techniques for working in limited space.
    when i have a really large quilt i want/need to baste i go down to the community center & use their floor space or tables- our public library also has a couple rooms in the basement that locals are able to use for free- we just have to call & make sure no one else already has them & it does need to be when they are open.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Try Sharon Schamber video on u tube - I have learned the hard way you need to take you time with her method and make sure that everything is smooth. If I have good ventilation ( live in Manhattan in a small apt) I would prefer the spray basting method of hanging the quit on the wall - there is a video of that method too - not sure where I saw it.