Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to sew this together?

I received some blocks that are flannel, 6" squares. They have a 4" square sandwiched between them and are stitched with an X across them. So, I am sure that they are considered "stitch as you go". I have never done this before. I do not know how to join them. If I just make a seam, it will show on the back. Can anyone explain to me how you do this? Below is a picture. They have the same pattern on the backs.

I would appreciate any help or comments. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks and sounds like a rag quilt in the making. There are several tutorials here for how it. Love purple & yellow!

Looks like the blocks for a rag quilt. The seam is to be on the front then clipped. The seam is usually an inch wide. Once washed and dried the seam gets ragged. Check out pictures on this site. Several rag or rag time quilts posted there.

Blog Entries
    Yes, a rag style or method to finish it..........calla

It would make a great rag tote bag.

I agree with the rag quilt

Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    I received some blocks that are flannel, 6" squares. They have a 4" square sandwiched between them and are stitched with an X across them. So, I am sure that they are considered "stitch as you go". I have never done this before. I do not know how to join them. If I just make a seam, it will show on the back. Can anyone explain to me how you do this? Below is a picture. They have the same pattern on the backs.

seam them together just outside the inner 4" square so that you've got a 1" seam allowance on the blocks. Keep all the seam to one side (front side). When done, clip the seams to within 1/4" of the seam line about 1/4" to 1/2" apart. Go to a laundry mat and run it through a wash & dry cycle. You may have to repeat for best fluffing. I always recommend the laundry mat b/c the initial fluffing of a rag quilt results in a lot of lint and can be hard on most residential washers/dryers. You'll need to check the lint trap often (I paid 1 quarter at a time, check the lint trap, then another quarter and so on). I'm including a pick of the rag quilt I made. It's a denim/flannel combo, so I don't have the inner smaller square.

Rag Quilt Example
    Name:  Attachment-219526.jpe
Views: 34
Size:  103.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Rag quilt!

Thank you. Everyone has said rag quilt or purse, but I did not know how to do this. Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate this.

Quote Originally Posted by qbquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnare

seam them together just outside the inner 4" square so that you've got a 1" seam allowance on the blocks. Keep all the seam to one side (front side). When done, clip the seams to within 1/4" of the seam line about 1/4" to 1/2" apart. Go to a laundry mat and run it through a wash & dry cycle. You may have to repeat for best fluffing. I always recommend the laundry mat b/c the initial fluffing of a rag quilt results in a lot of lint and can be hard on most residential washers/dryers. You'll need to check the lint trap often (I paid 1 quarter at a time, check the lint trap, then another quarter and so on). I'm including a pick of the rag quilt I made. It's a denim/flannel combo, so I don't have the inner smaller square.

Its so nice to be able to help others out on this board! I sure hope that you post your finished project with these blocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast