Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you attach this set of borders? >

How would you attach this set of borders?

How would you attach this set of borders?

Old 03-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Default How would you attach this set of borders?

I am making a quilt that has 3 borders to it.

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/08/...-in-curio.html

My problem is the body of the quilt (the jacob's ladder blocks) ended up 56 3/4 inches instead of 56 1/2 inches (I downsized my blocks so it is smaller than the bake shop one). I am wondering if I should make the first white border 56 1/2 inches and ease in the 56 3/4 inch quilt body or if I should just reduce the width of the first white border by the 1/4 inch I am over in the quilt body.

I believe that either of those options will hopefully get me to the size it should be after the first white border so that my second border of small squares will fit correctly. If I don't do anything that second border will not fit by the 1/4 inch. Maybe it won't be very noticeable to slice down the 2 outer squares by 1/8 inch either and not worry about resizing the white border or easing in the quilt body?

What do you think would be the most successful option?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Yes, use the white row as your adjustment strip. Sew up the squares for the final border and adjust the white so that it fits.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 PM

Make the white border fit the measurement of your quilt -56 and 3/4.. Measure your quilt in three places to be sure that is right and use the average measurement for your white borders. Then measure again for your pieced border. No one will notice if your pieced border is 1/8 inch shorter or longer on each end. See the links section for a tutorial on borders.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

1/4 " is not very much to be off, so I think you have done a very good job. I would cut the white border to the measurement that it is supposed to be and ease the interior of the quilt to fit. That way the next border should fit perfectly. Your border won't be wavy because (1) it is smaller than the interior by just a bit and (2) it isn't the outside border.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 PM

I would measure your quilt and attach the first white border to fit your quilt - but make the border a little wider. Then remeasure after the white border has been attached and trim it to the size needed to fit the next pieced border.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:41 AM

Your top is 1/4" larger than what you wanted? Are you using two solid color borders....red, then white?

Have you measured the quilt in three places...top, bottom and middle? Is the difference the same on all three measurements? If not average it out...then I would sew both borders together to that measurement, then add to top, making sure to center and pin down, mitering the corners...less change of getting waves between 1 st and 2 nd border...just my thoughts on subject
Old 03-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Yes, use the white row as your adjustment strip. Sew up the squares for the final border and adjust the white so that it fits.
Yes, this will work. Good Luck !!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:27 AM

I was going to ask if the quilt had to be one specific size for any reason. But I see that the center border is squares. So, you can adjust the size using the first (most inside) white border. Are you sure you've adjusted th size of the quilt so that the squares will come out evenly? You can always place the squares border along side the inner white border, and if it doesn't fit quite right, make a few seams between the squares a little smaller, too.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I am making a quilt that has 3 borders to it.

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/08/...-in-curio.html

My problem is the body of the quilt (the jacob's ladder blocks) ended up 56 3/4 inches instead of 56 1/2 inches (I downsized my blocks so it is smaller than the bake shop one). I am wondering if I should make the first white border 56 1/2 inches and ease in the 56 3/4 inch quilt body or if I should just reduce the width of the first white border by the 1/4 inch I am over in the quilt body.

I believe that either of those options will hopefully get me to the size it should be after the first white border so that my second border of small squares will fit correctly. If I don't do anything that second border will not fit by the 1/4 inch. Maybe it won't be very noticeable to slice down the 2 outer squares by 1/8 inch either and not worry about resizing the white border or easing in the quilt body?

What do you think would be the most successful option?
Bonnie Hunter says to measure thru the middle and that's the length of your border. Try that measurement. 1/4" doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me, you done good! lol. Whatever you do it will be gorgeous.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:51 AM

That is a beautiful quilt pattern! (You already have enough help on the border question, just wanted to say I can't wait to see a picture!!)

Dina