Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you do this ???? >

How would you do this ????

How would you do this ????

Old 05-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

My OBW is back into one piece. Now just need the backing put together and I'll prep my binding before sending to the LAQ.

Binding I'm good with ...

EXCEPT I have this idea that I'd like to have a gathered strip of fabric that would stick out from the binding and the quilt (kind of like how a petticoat would hang down from the bottom of a dress).

How would you do this?
Please? and Thanks!!

(sorry, not sure if I've explained this right)
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 PM
MTS
Banned

Like a ruffle? extending the size of the quilt?
Or like piping? Directed inward?

Now I've thought two seconds longer.

I'm not loving the first idea. Seems like a PITA to do. And that's usually enough for me to rule it out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So if you have a ruffler attachment, you can make the ruffle and then sew it on after you've done the binding (or before if it's not in the way) and then fold it back out over the binding. Same result, no?

Piping, though, is really nice. And much less of a hassle. A tiny bit of color or even two (especially after the buzy-ness of the OBW) can pack a lot of visual punch.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:24 PM

I think that if you wanted a gathered strip on the edge, the only way you could use tradional binding is to have the ruffle point towards the inside of the quilt. You would gather the fabric, baste the gathered edge down along the quilt edge then put the binding on in the tradional method. I've seen quilts with ruffles put between borders and then you could place it pointing towards the outside with the outer border cut thinner than the ruffle then put a binding underneath the ruffle on the outside border. Wow,
that is probably a poor explanation--hope it makes sense. I'm looking forward to seeing what experts have to say on this.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM

quilt top facing up,ruffle wrong side up,raw edge to edge of top, then binding on top of ruffle,raw edges match.sew, turn, the binding will have to go all the way over. It won't show at all,and the ruffle will be on the edge of your top, sticking out.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:29 PM

If you want the ruffle pointing OUT from the quilt you can do it prairie point style. Place the ruffle on the top edge with the ruffle pointed inwards. Place your binding *use narrower than normal* on top of the ruffle so the raw edge of the binding, the top of the ruffle and the edge of the quilt all line up. Then sew it as you would a seam. Once sewn, fold the binding to the back completely, so the seam is at the edge of the quilt with the ruffle sticking out between the quilt top and the binding. Sew the binding to the back.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by tjradj
If you want the ruffle pointing OUT from the quilt you can do it prairie point style. Place the ruffle on the top edge with the ruffle pointed inwards. Place your binding *use narrower than normal* on top of the ruffle so the raw edge of the binding, the top of the ruffle and the edge of the quilt all line up. Then sew it as you would a seam. Once sewn, fold the binding to the back completely, so the seam is at the edge of the quilt with the ruffle sticking out between the quilt top and the binding. Sew the binding to the back.
GOOOAAAALLLLL to tjradj!

What she said.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Yes, like a ruffle, and yes would extend the size of the quilt!

Funny enough, I've just seen it as a PITA so far too ... and thought maybe that ye wise ones just may have a way that I haven't thought about yet.

The ruffle part I can make OK ... and it'd be not too fluffy, 1-1/2 fullness at the most, maybe less. Where I see as the problem would be the bulk of the layers of fabric ... front (with seams along the edges), batting, backing, double layer of ruffle, and binding) .... plus if you folded it you've now added an extra layer of batting.

My OBW is busy ... though much softer and not so vibrant as most we've seen posted. More feminine, and so why I was thinking of the ruffle ... plus it will be in my formal living room.

Piping .... interesting idea ... can you or someone please show me some pics of quilts with piping at the edge?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Til you ladies started talking, I was thinking about the binding on both the front and back of the quilt ... though you are skipping that ... and the finished front would just show the quilt top with ruffle, no binding. And the back would have the binding as well. Right?

Tjradj .... please see my other post and concern about the bulk and the # of layers. I understand what you're saying ... what do you think about all the bulk there'd be?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM
MTS
Banned

Here's directions.

http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/piping-...azz/index.html

http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html

Susan Cleveland wrote a book a few years ago
http://www.piecesbewithyou.com/showquilts.htm

You can google for pictures of quilts with it. I think Ricky Tims puts it on most of his.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:44 PM

When I first saw your post there were no responses yet and I stopped to draw out what I thought you were talking about. After having a problem with my scanner, crumbling up the paper and walking away to help my son with the grill, I came back and tried again. I managed to get the stupid HP copier to scan this time, so here is what I came up with. I don't know, I think maybe the other responses make more sense, but maybe this will help....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196940.jpe