Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you do this ???? >

How would you do this ????

How would you do this ????

Old 05-15-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
If you want the ruffle pointing OUT from the quilt you can do it prairie point style. Place the ruffle on the top edge with the ruffle pointed inwards. Place your binding *use narrower than normal* on top of the ruffle so the raw edge of the binding, the top of the ruffle and the edge of the quilt all line up. Then sew it as you would a seam. Once sewn, fold the binding to the back completely, so the seam is at the edge of the quilt with the ruffle sticking out between the quilt top and the binding. Sew the binding to the back.
What about the corners??
Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by shnnn
Maybe lace?
It has been a thought!
Or eyelet? with a rolled hem like a handkerchief or a zigzag edge like a knit seam allowance it would look the same from front or back if you used the pictured method to put binding on both sides of ruffle?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:26 AM

Til you ladies started talking, I was thinking about the binding on both the front and back of the quilt ... though you are skipping that ... and the finished front would just show the quilt top with ruffle, no binding. And the back would have the binding as well. Right?

Tjradj .... please see my other post and concern about the bulk and the # of layers. I understand what you're saying ... what do you think about all the bulk there'd be?
I think it would be much like sewing a sleeve into the binding which is done all the time.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:50 AM

I'm just reading this and am wondering if you put the ruffle to the back of the quilt, with the wrong side to the quilt back, then put your binding on the back on the ruffle, line up your edges and stitch. You'd then fold the binding to the top of the quilt to finish.

Another thought, which would reduce bulk at the edge of the quilt...attach the ruffle to the binding at or near the fold line of the binding, then attach the binding to the quilt as normal, fold the remainder of the binding to the back of the quilt as usual and attach. Hmmmm....I'm doing this with paper at my computer, may need to go to my sewing room and try with fabrics.

Beautiful quilt - good luck!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 AM

After reading everything I've thought of 2 ways.

1) If doing a double ruffle then you can bind and then sew the ruffle onto the binding with a couple row of stitches, then you would have the wide part of the border on the outside and then and little tiny ruffle above the stitching. Both would then show.

2) Make the ruffle then sew the binding strips (I'd make a front and back) and sort of sandwich it between the 2 and sew. Then I would hand sew down the binding on front and back.

Clear as mud?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:42 AM

I have done this for crib quilts. I first make the ruffle, then use narrow fold binding, open one edge and sew to front of ruffle, right sides together. When that is attached, turn the ruffle until the back of the ruffle is toward you. Use a second length of narrow fold binding and repeat the above directions to the back of the ruffle. Next step: With right side of quilt facing you, open the other side of the top portion binding. Machine stitch to the quilt, right sides together. When ruffle and binding stip are completely attached, turn quilt with back facing you. I then press the binding on the back side a little so it is easier to work with (do not open the fold), baste or pin the binding to the back and hand stitch in place. A little bit more work but a better finish than some of the other methods.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 AM

I like the binding and ruffle along with piping also just piping and binding..one quick hint......if you don't already have a piping foot for your machine get one and use it..it is easier than making a straight seam..The feet come in all sizes for different piping. Check out Jo Anns or Walmart for the piping and local sizes available. good luck and please post when you get it done. nice job.....
carol
Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 AM

MTS,

Thank you for those sites. I have just spent an hour looking and reading. Loved it and will be back.

Kathleen (AKA Quilter68 who will soon be 70)
Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltlove
My OBW is back into one piece. Now just need the backing put together and I'll prep my binding before sending to the LAQ.

Binding I'm good with ...

EXCEPT I have this idea that I'd like to have a gathered strip of fabric that would stick out from the binding and the quilt (kind of like how a petticoat would hang down from the bottom of a dress).

How would you do this?
Please? and Thanks!!

(sorry, not sure if I've explained this right)
Why don't you make a bed skirt the length of the ruffle you would like. It would go over the box springs and down from there. This would give the same effect without all the bulk attached to the quilt.
....... except this is not a bed quilt. It'll be in my living room! :)
I'm not really trying to widen it for the width reason, more so to put something different at the edge instead of a traditional border/binding.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Thanks everyone ... my head is spinning with all the ideas. I'm going to have to sit down and work with some real fabric to try some of them out.