Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you even Begin to organize your stash? >

How would you even Begin to organize your stash?

How would you even Begin to organize your stash?

Old 10-24-2016, 01:28 PM

What a lovely sewing space. Leta, I'm so glad you started this thread. I picked up a new tip from zozee (thanks to you, too)on how to organize my clear totes better. No time to work on that yet but I hope to have the time soon.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:11 PM

I have a large stash and need to reorganize it. It has outgrown all of my containers. I do use many of the methods that you have all described. I have some bins with precut sizes (Bonnie Hunter sizes). Yardage is separate from fat quarters. I make a lot of scrap quilts. I have drawers that have smaller pieces in them, ironed flat and roughly sorted by color. I have a drawer for neutrals and one for colors. When I am piecing, I can go to these drawers and easily sort through a bunch of fabrics before cutting into larger pieces. I also have drawers with styles of fabrics. I love reproduction fabrics and have many drawers dedicated to a specific color of reproduction type fabrics (pre1930's). 1930's are in a separate drawer and box. Batiks are separate too (a drawer of small scraps, a drawer of larger scraps and boxes of yardage. I don't cut all my smaller pieces of fabrics because I like to make blocks that might need different sizes of the same fabric or I use a technique that requires an odd size. When I have "left" over strips or squares of a certain size from making a quilt, I file them into their correct place (this is mostly how I add to these drawers). I do find that these drawers come in handy. I do use many of these strips and squares if I can. I check these drawers first and work my way up in size until I find what I'm looking for. I like having multiple ways to sort my fabric.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:33 PM

I have a Bonnie Hunter "lite" system. I find myself buying yardage and cutting 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2" strips, and folding the rest for use in whatever. I have a type cabinet that is color coded, green drawer, blue drawer, purple - these are fabrics less than a yard. In a closet I have shelves divided into colors for 2+ yards. I also have children fabrics divided into this section, and solids. I have a cabinet that is entirely batiks and another type cabinet that has smaller pieces. I, also have boxes of certain colors as I've done a few controlled scrappies and had lots of leftovers.