Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you even Begin to organize your stash? >

How would you even Begin to organize your stash?

How would you even Begin to organize your stash?

Old 10-19-2016, 04:33 AM

For yardage I fold fabric by using a folding board normally used for folding tshirts. ( They're available on Amazon and if you watch Big Bang Theory you may have seen Sheldon using one in the laundry room.). Then I sort by color and out them in an old China cabinet. I've got a lot of scraps that I've just thrown into plastic totes. For the last two weeks whenever I go into my sewing room I start and end my sewing session by randomly picking out 3 or 4 scrap pieces and cutting them up into 5 inch or 2 1/2 inch squares or 2 1/2 inch strips. I have ArtBin boxes for fat quarters, charm packs, and 2 1/2 inch strips. Jelly rolls are stacked in clear tall cannisters. I use an old baby changing table to organize patterns and kits in baskets.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:46 AM

It is obvious we all have somewhat similar methods that WORK FOR US. Everyone sews differently and prefers organization methods that are useful for them. You have to decide from all the methods above. Personally I don't save anything less than a 2 1/2" square. That would make me nuts, even though I do lots of applique and smaller pieces are useful in some applications. I can't deal with that, so in the trash they go. Yardage is on comic boards sorted by color. Folding over a 6" ruler is cheaper and just as effective, but I like the vertical (book) look on a shelf and it is easier to replace unused fabric. FQ are folded into squares that fit into ribbon boxes by color. See previous thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t271101.html Smaller than a FQ, unless it is a batik, all batik scraps are in one tote, I cut into 2 1/2" strips, 2 1/2" sqs. or 5" squares as there are many, many patterns for pre-cuts. This is my method. Pick and choose what works for you and your style. Good luck. P.S. You are not alone. Even though I am pretty organized, I have three totes full of scraps from the past year waiting for me to cut and re-sort after the holidays. It is a never ending job and if you don't keep at it you will end up in the same boat as you are in now. For me, that is the hardest part as I am always anxious to start the next project!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the link, Altairss! Good info here and I can really use the help because my sewing room is a mess!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:38 AM

Great topic Leta! Thanks for starting it.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:48 AM

I sort my fabric by color and some by style: Christmas, dog and cat, plaids, Holidays, Mary Englebreit, Liberty of London, batiks. I keep fat quarters in a separate space completely and don't cut it up. I keep the larger pieces of fabric in bins. I do cut up my scraps and leave in containers, but have never went to use them so far. They just sit there waiting for inspiration. I keep my cut up HST's by my sewing machine and sew them up and put in a box, my inspiration will come one day for all of those too. I have gone into my fabric so many times looking for yardage that I would never just cut it up. I think you know what type of quilter you are already, I know I am not a Bonnie Hunter person either. I know I am happy with how I have things set up, when I go to make a quilt, I go to my bins and dig and I find exactly what I need. Unless it's a weird color like mint, I had to buy that fabric recently.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:13 AM

This would be my gameplan to advise since it works for me. I'm not drowning in scraps anymore. I put yardage in a dresser. Under a yard gets folded and filed front to back by color in a different dresser. I like things behind closed doors and drawers to avoid overstimulation. As for pieces that are small enough to get lost among bigger pieces, those go into clear shoeboxes.

In short:

1. As you handle each fabric, rate it 8, 9, or 10. Keep only those.
2. Sell on here or do giveaways for postage or free. Don't try to organize what you don't love. You won't use it. Get rid of it.
3. Get a clear shoebox with lid for every color. Fold and file with gold side up. Thus lets you see at a glance, not rifle through a pile.
4. Label and stack the boxes. Keeps dust out and you don't have to guess "is that navy blue or black?" Sometimes can be to tell if not labeled. I like to use the same color scrapbook paper with a white label and black sharpie lettering to label things. Uniformity is calming.
5. I will cut strips of various widths of scraps because I know I'll make string quilts. 1.5-2.5 x 7 generally. Store pressed in 14x14x3 art bins. I also cut 2 and 2.5 inch squares from a small piece. I try not to cut other sizes until I need it.

Take a a picture when you have a neat space, because if you're like me, it won't stay that way! It's work! I'm great at creating systems, not so great at maintaining them! But this system is working better than any I've tried so far.

Last edited by zozee; 10-19-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:54 AM

I would sort by color only. Then when I wanted to do a particular pattern, I would cut for that particular quilt.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:38 AM

Anything larger than about 1/2 yard is folded in half and then in half again (like it is wrapped on a regular bolt in half once) goes onto comic book holders and is sorted on bookshelves standing up by color.

Then my fat quarters are folded all the same way (in half then in 3rds) and are stored in side table drawers by color.

Now my scraps are sorted by shape and colors. All longer strip strips in one shoe box and all squares/rectangles by colors and sizes SML in another shoe box.

My goal this year (17 that is ) is to use a lot of scraps. Right now I am working on a rainbow scrappy log cabin (13 twelve inch squares are done). I am trying NOT to cut into my longer pieces, but to use scraps and pieces of fat quarters.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:42 AM

When I was going to move, I decided it was the best (?!) time to organize. I packed my fabrics by colors and by special occassion (halloween, christmas, etc). When I set up my new space, I worked on one container at a time. That way I didn't feel totally overwhelmed. I seperated into 3 groups - scraps, usable amounts and big pieces. If you tend to use a lot of precuts, this would be the time to cut them. I do so many different patterns that cutting layer cakes or charm packs doesn't make sense for me. But, I tend to prefer pieced bindings so if the 'leftovers' are not enough to really save for future projects, I will cut them into 2" strips and put them in a binding drawer. It was a lot of work to get it organized, but I am so thankful that I did it. Once done, it is easy to keep up with it and you feel better about cleaning up after a project! And, MOST OF ALL, I know what I have!
Old 10-19-2016, 01:05 PM

I struggled with this for many years, and made some mighty ugly quilts in the interim, trying to use scraps. Now unless it's true yardage I never restock it in my closet (floor to ceiling shelves, arranged by color). I cut all the scraps into 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 bricks, and arrange those in a drawer by color. Anything smaller is cut into 2 1/2 inch strips which I donate to a friend in our comfort quilt making group, and smaller than that goes into a scrap drawer. I give those to another member who loves to make crumb quilts. I have quite a few different ways to sew the bricks into quilts and I love them all.