Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you respond?? >

How would you respond??

How would you respond??

Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Necchi, the Ferrari of the sewing machine world!!

Billy
Thanks. It's the only Necchi I've ever heard of, let alone seen. I'd never heard this brand put in quite this league. Makes me feel good about wanting to keep her.

sunkistmi,

how about a college student who may be coming home? You might be able to find one who is driving home to Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Penn., and would be willing to carefully transport to you for a fee. Obviously, it would be helpful to have someone who would be willing to do this for you, and would obviously treat the machine as if it was their own, but it can be done. Perhaps for half the cost of the gas from there to you would be fair? Providing, of course, that they deliver it safely and you have the opportunity to check it out before paying. Just a thought.

BKinCO, put a sign on his bedroom door: "Checkout time is age 18 years". We did that with our first. SHE didn't think it too funny (go figure!). Actually, we have always lived by the rules my parents gave us: you are welcome to stay as long as you can live by our rules. Once you move out, don't plan to move back in. And remember: you WILL NOT bring back grandchildren for US to raise!

Actually, all things considered, not a bad way to go. Makes them think twice about whether or not they want to be "grownups".
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I never even thought of that, of course, they would have to have some sort of van or truck due to the size, but could be doable. Where would you even start to advertise about it? I'll have to think. I just want to get it here before something happens with my friends and they WANT to get rid of it, although she is pretty protective of it for me. We'll see. Any ideas???
Wendy
Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
Thanks. It's the only Necchi I've ever heard of, let alone seen. I'd never heard this brand put in quite this league. Makes me feel good about wanting to keep her.
Necchi is an Italian sewing machine hence the Ferrari remark, but it is known to be one of the finest machines you can buy in the world.

It was an extremely pricey and super high end quality machine, and for the most part you can only find them in the northeastern part of the US. But they did have a few dealers in other parts of the country.

Billy

Billy
Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 AM

I am rolling on the floor! Our 19 yr old son is gone and hubby took that room ( have taken 2 corners, one for wine and one for fabric) now I just have to get my 17 soon to be 18 senior in high school daughter married off. Her room is BIGGER than the boys room! BWAAAHHH HA HA HA *evil laugh*

Oh and Another mouth to feed just means more love in the house!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 AM

You could do what my parents did, just start moving stuff in, and forgetting to tell me that they wanted the space... They seem to like storing mismatched furniture...
Old 01-20-2010, 01:51 PM

I want to thank you for starting this blog and everyone that contributed... you know you all extended my life... because I am still LOL! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
Thanks for the suggestion. I never even thought of that, of course, they would have to have some sort of van or truck due to the size, but could be doable. Where would you even start to advertise about it? I'll have to think. I just want to get it here before something happens with my friends and they WANT to get rid of it, although she is pretty protective of it for me. We'll see. Any ideas???
Wendy
Is there a college nearby to the town where your machine is? I would contact the administration building (perhaps ask for "student services"?). Explain that you are looking for some help in locating a student who may be willing to move a piece of furniture for you when they return back east. Tell them that you are in Michigan, and have an antique sewing being stored in the area, that you would like to hire a responsible student to transport it to you. Hopefully, they will know of a student who may be driving back to the area to visit family/go home for spring break or the summer. I'm sure you will find helpful people who can pair you up with someone who will treat your antique baby with all the love it needs. Be certain to set up the exchange parameters ahead of time: when it needs to be picked up, where it will need to go to (perhaps you can drive afew hours from home and meet the "courier" to help allay some of his travel expenses?), how much the job will pay. Exchange phone numbers.

While this may not be the perfect solution, it may just work. College kids are always on the lookout for ways to earn some extra money and if they can tie it in to a trip back home, so much the better.

Good Luck!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

How about this, on another forum I am a member of we can ask for a relay if we have something we bought in one part of the country and we are in the other. We could have something like that here.

All you do is ask for a relay between point A to point B. Now sometimes you will find a person going through your town that is coming directly from point A that works out great but if not the machine might take the long way to you with several stops along the way and several different people driving it to the destination.

I have had many of big heavy items moved like this and I have been the layover for quite a few items myself but it always works out and its usually free (maybe the cost of a 6 pack).

For me it took 3 months to get a set of Singer store front signs to my house from Ohio but in the process I picked up a gas pump and another parking meter along the way!

Billy