Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ Avante long arm question. >

HQ Avante long arm question.

HQ Avante long arm question.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Default HQ Avante long arm question.

When I bought my Avante, the dealer told me to use size 18 needles and set the stitch length to 10. Now a repair person said to use size 16 needles and use stitch length 12. Also I think my machine is heavy to use, what are your opinions?
Old 01-14-2016, 01:06 PM

The needle size depends on your thread but I have used both sizes of needles and both stitch lenghts with no problems. The stitch length depends on how you want it to look. What do you mean your machine is heavy to use?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cam's gram View Post
The needle size depends on your thread but I have used both sizes of needles and both stitch lenghts with no problems. The stitch length depends on how you want it to look. What do you mean your machine is heavy to use?
I agree. You need to change your needle size to suit your fabric and thread choices. A thinner thread would usually call for a smaller needle. Sometimes you have shredding thread issues, so a larger needle works better. Same with the stitch length. I find a smaller length works better with tight curvy designs, with straighter lines a little longer length works best for me.
The stitch length is adjustable for a reason. You need to choose one that works with your project. Same thing with needles. They make different sizes because one size doesn't fit all!
Finally, your comment about your machine being heavy. I would check to make sure that you don't have any threads wrapped around the wheels, the rails are clean and finally that your frame is correctly balanced. Your machine should move easily .
Old 01-14-2016, 03:43 PM

I use size 16 and 18 depending on the size of the thread and use 10 stitches to the inch. Check with the repair person for reasons he thinks you need to change.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:44 PM

thread determines needle size and sometimes the type of fabric makes a difference. For your "heavy" machine, besides cleaning and making sure no threads in wheels, etc, you may want to do what Jamie Wallen suggests on your rails and wheeles---to get some dry erase cleaner and use on the rails and wheels. Gets the gunk out!
Old 01-15-2016, 06:47 PM

My machine is fairly new but I will try cleaning the wheel area. When I am using the pantograph, the machine seems heavy and awkward to use, even DH noticed. I will experiment with the needle sizes with various threads. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:15 AM
Power Poster

I have needles for my Avante in 14, 16, 18 &20s....use them all, depending on the thread I am using. Stitch length depends on the project, look I want, etc. I too don't understand the ( heavy) comment... My machine flows easily, smoothly.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:59 AM

If you have tried all the other suggestions about your machine being "heavy" Check to make sure your frame is level - especially if it is set up on carpet - as the frame sits on carpet, the level can change for a little while until it has compressed the carpet to the max extent that it is going to. Also make sure your power cord is not catching on anything.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I have needles for my Avante in 14, 16, 18 &20s....use them all, depending on the thread I am using. Stitch length depends on the project, look I want, etc. I too don't understand the ( heavy) comment... My machine flows easily, smoothly.
Yes this above.
As for feeling heavy. Different machines, brands, and different sizes will have a certain heaviness even if it is running correctly. Following a pantograph and being new too it might also make it feel heavier. I opted for another brand because I felt the for me the HQ Fusion was heavy compared to the Innova. The HQ Avante because it is a smaller opening felt lighter to me then the HQ Fusion. I hope you will be able to resolve it.