Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ sweet sixteen long arm >

HQ sweet sixteen long arm

HQ sweet sixteen long arm

Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM

Default HQ sweet sixteen long arm

I own a HQ 16 and considering the HQ simply sixteen. I have my HQ sweet 16 up for sale and thinking of buying the "Simply". I get frustrated moving the quilt and think it would be easier moving the machine. I have also seen at quilt show the Block Rocket by Kathyquilts.com. Before I purchase either I plan to go to the next quilt show and get more information. You can sometimes get better deals at that time. Would appreciate knowing more from members and get opinions. I feel I can get a better price by selling my machine outright and then go shopping.
I know the difference between the machines has to do with the frames. HQ you have to clamp the quilt down and move it along as you need to and the Block Rocket is on rollers. Just don't know which is better and the support you would get from the manufacturer. Any input would be appreciated. I have been quilting for over 25 years and have done hand and home machine (Bernia 440) quilting until I thought the HQ 16 sweet sixteen would be better.I know it takes practice but feel the Simply or B.Rocket would be easier!!!!! the next quilt show is in Syracuse NY, July in Hershey, PA and Aug in Manchester NH and September here in Oaks PA. So I have my pick.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:25 PM

Have you asked the HQ dealer about a trade-in?
Old 06-06-2016, 05:03 PM

I looked at the Block Rocket as well as most the other LA brands at Sew Expo in Puyallup in February.

Andy at the Block Rocket booth was delightful, but the machine itself was small, there is not a lot of throat space. Before I looked at other brands, it was a contender, but that soon changed. The frame and machine felt flimsy and too light.

Did you know you can purchase a kit to allow you to put your Sweet 16 on a frame? Check out the following from the Handi Quilter site

"Change my HQ Sweet Sixteen into a stand-up

Answer: You will need to purchase an upgrade kit. You will also need a frame and machine carriage. For more information on this option, please call Handi Quilter Customer Relations at 1-877-697-8458, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mountain Time (MST). "

You may not need a new machine.
"
Old 06-07-2016, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Get yourself to a large quilt show where many LA dealers will be there with machines set up. Be sure to write many notes to make your decision easier. If I went that way, I would also go for a frame since you can do so many more creative things with a frame. My friend has a sit down and I can do anything on my older Bernina that she want to do. We are both doing the same thing of moving the quilt around. I can do more, I can straight stitch crosshatching which she can't. I will never understand them but please, I am old school. No insult is intended. We all have the freedom to choose what works best for us.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:41 AM

I up too was not happy with my SS sitdown. Purchased an upgrade kit from Handiquiler for a 12 ft frame that makes it similar to an Avante and am very happy with the results now! The HQ people are wonderful for helping you all the way!!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:59 AM

I did call customer relations at HQ and they said it would cost just as much to upgrade than it would be purchase a "simply" new. ????
Old 06-07-2016, 09:01 AM

Spoke with them today and said my price for selling outright was good. I am not in a hurry and will take time and look at the machines at a show and make a decision. I have a prospect for my 16 but until a deposit is make it is still mine.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:18 AM

I just bought the Simply 16 with the studio frame. It's wonderful! The Simply 16 is regulated or manual. Very different from the sit down. It is a wonderful machine. The people set it all up for me and taught me how to use it. Handi Quilter support is awesome. I didn't have a lot of room, so we set it up as 8 ft frame. Works great!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Some people like sit downs, some people like frame systems. The Simply 16 with the little frame is around the same price as the fully featured sit down Sweet 16. I happen to be one of those who much prefer a sit down; I want the feel of fabric in my hands, not machine handles. It is a tactile thing, and yes, I did spend lots of time with a long arm because everyone told me that is what I "should" get. I have seen a few folks who just sold heir sit down and bought the Simply 16; seemed better price for them than a conversion, but your dealer may have some type of a deal for you.

Pam