Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
simply sixteen long arm quilting machine reviews/advice >

simply sixteen long arm quilting machine reviews/advice

simply sixteen long arm quilting machine reviews/advice

Old 01-10-2017, 08:42 AM

Default simply sixteen long arm quilting machine reviews/advice

Just recently was able to sell my Handi-quilter sweet sixteen sit down quilting machine and thinking about purchasing the simply sweet sixteen by Handi-quilter. Could not get used to moving the quilt when quilting and thought it would be easier, with practice, to move the machine. There are so many small long arm machines available and would love to hear from our members with some advice as the pros and cons of the different companies. I have limited space and can't have a real long arm frame machine and the baby lock and Handi-quilter seem to fit my bill. I got a good price for my sweet sixteen and it is being shipped to Arkansas from PA this week. So I will have the funds to put toward a newer machine. There will be a quilt show in March in Lancaster PA and will be able to check out other companies. I want a company that will stand by their machines and be able to have good service when needed. So would appreciate some feed back. Thank you in the meantime.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I'm interested in replies. Hubs is talking long-arm. Not sure where to put it. More his idea than mine.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 AM

I am also looking at the SS and trying to decide if I really want to get it. I will be interested in the replies.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Handiquilter is a great company to work with. I just upgraded from my sweet sixteen to the Avante last year. Have always been happy with the company, customer service, tech support and my machines.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Banned

For me it was definitely easier to move the machine instead of the quilt. If you liked your Sweet Sixteen you'll like the Simply Sixteen, they are the same machine. I have the HQ Avante and love it. I bought the 12' frame and have it set up at 8', plenty big enough for me.

Cari
Old 01-10-2017, 12:40 PM

Much easier to move the machine....I started with a HandiQuilter 16 - upgraded to Avante 18, then made the move to the HandiQuilter Fusion...I think that HandiQuilter is a great machine and if the need arises to call the company they are wonderful to work with. I test drove several other company's makes and models - but came back to the HandiQuilter. Loves these machines. I would suggest that you purchase the largest machine that is possible for you...good luck with your decision.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:12 PM

The limitation of the Simply 16 is the 5 foot frame, which would require removing the quilt and reattaching it to move to another section. I don't think I would like that personally and I make larger than crib quilts most of the time.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by frecklestweety View Post
Just recently was able to sell my Handi-quilter sweet sixteen sit down quilting machine and thinking about purchasing the simply sweet sixteen by Handi-quilter. Could not get used to moving the quilt when quilting and thought it would be easier, with practice, to move the machine. There are so many small long arm machines available and would love to hear from our members with some advice as the pros and cons of the different companies. I have limited space and can't have a real long arm frame machine and the baby lock and Handi-quilter seem to fit my bill. I got a good price for my sweet sixteen and it is being shipped to Arkansas from PA this week. So I will have the funds to put toward a newer machine. There will be a quilt show in March in Lancaster PA and will be able to check out other companies. I want a company that will stand by their machines and be able to have good service when needed. So would appreciate some feed back. Thank you in the meantime.

I have the Simply Sixteen on the Little Foot frame. Handi Quilter makes a quality product and good customer service. If you have already owned a Sweet Sixteen you are already familiar with the company.

The advantages of this set up is that it is significantly less expensive than full sized long arm machines of the same quality, and takes up significantly less floor space. The floor space was the selling point for me.

So what do you give up for these advantages? Rear handles, which are important if you want to use pantographs. (Rear handles can be purchased, but will result in needing more floor space.) Also, the quilt must be removed and re-attached if the width is greater than the quilting area of the frame. If you are doing free motion edge to edge you may want to stagger your stops and starts to avoid having an obvious line of demarcation. I think that if you are working one block at a time, either free motion or with rulers this shouldn't be a problem. I would avoid doing horizontal across the quilt straight line, as I can't imagine not having obvious stops and starts. As straight line is not my thing, I am not concerned with this. I do love that the machine has both manual and stitch regulated mode.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Simply Sixteen as it fits my needs both space and dollar wise. I am (slowly) developing my skills. If at some time in the future I develop the proficiency I would like, and have a larger space I will consider upgrading to a larger machine/frame. For now, I am a happy customer.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Handiquilter is a great company to work with. I just upgraded from my sweet sixteen to the Avante last year. Have always been happy with the company, customer service, tech support and my machines.
I just did the same thing. Loved the HQ16 though. Did a multi-point trade/sell. Sold my HQ16, bought a friend's used HQ Avante, who bought a HQ Fusion, that was sold by another friend.
Am glad I started with the HQ16. Took up less room. Easy to learn on. Once I made the decision to keep on using it, traded up.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Just want to say thank you for the replies. I plan to attend quilt show in Hampton, VA next month and the Lancaster AQS show in Lancaster Pa in March. It is a lot to think about. I purchase my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen from Hayes Sewing Center in Wilmington DE two years ago and they have been great. I don't intend to quilt large bed quilts as I have a great quilter friend that has an Innova top of the line quilting machine and does my quilting for large quilts as it is her business. So I thought the Simply was what I could use plus I am limited to space. But I am not hurrying into until I do my Homework at the shows. I presently have Bernia 440 quilter edition and really like it. Looking forward to moving the machine and not the quilt when I make my decision. Just printed out "Are You Thinking of Purchasing a Long arm Quilting Machine "by Cindy Roth, Long arm University. It is very informative and is helpful. So Happy Quilting!!!