Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
simply sixteen long arm quilting machine reviews/advice >

simply sixteen long arm quilting machine reviews/advice

simply sixteen long arm quilting machine reviews/advice

Old 07-06-2017, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
For me it was definitely easier to move the machine instead of the quilt. If you liked your Sweet Sixteen you'll like the Simply Sixteen, they are the same machine. I have the HQ Avante and love it. I bought the 12' frame and have it set up at 8', plenty big enough for me.

Cari
Are you saying you can set up a 10 or 12' frame to be an 8' frame if you wanted? That could solve so many space problems for so many people.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:33 AM

You need to go somewhere that will let your try a long arm for a while, at least 30 minutes. The size of the machine isn't as important as the whole "guiding the machine instead of the fabric" idea so it doesn't need to be a Simply 16. Make sure you like long arming before buying any machine at all.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I'm interested in replies. Hubs is talking long-arm. Not sure where to put it. More his idea than mine.
Same here! My husband sees me wrestling with bigger quilts on my Juki2010Q and wants me to get a longarm. But I am totally confused. I don't know if I really want it. I use a friend's long arm once in a while (when I have a huge quilt to quilt...) and it only does about 13" of working space per pass. That drives me crazy to be so limited in my movements and patterns that I have to keep it to 13" horizontal at a time. I'm thinking about sit down machines so I can move the quilt any way I want to, but then I will still have to sandwich! I keep thinking the right machine and set up will 'come to me' eventually, but so far nothing has 'jelled'.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:41 AM

I have a friend who bought the HQ Simply 16 recently. She likes it but you must baste it before quilting. She does smaller quilts and sprays bastes.

I have the orignal HQ 16 with poles that are in 3 pieces. I could make it smaller but have enough room to use all the poles. I would HATE having to baste before quilting.

I have 3 friends who have bought the Block Rocket and are very happy with this machine.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:46 AM

You can buy an 8 foot frame or, if you already have a frame that is longer than 8 feet, buy rails for 8 feet.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 AM

I have the original HQ16. It can be used on a sit down table or on a frame. When I purchased it, 2nd hand, I had no idea what I was doing and went through the usual trial and error. while learning. Other than operator error, I have had no problems with it.

It is on an 8 foot frame - 96", but I wouldn't do more than a 90" quilt on it, and that might be a bit of a stretch.

MY HQ also has a pcquilter - robotic, computerized quilting. It works very well. However, I only do end to end patterns. The pcquilter runs with an old XP pc which is nearing the end of it's useful life. When it goes, I will upgrade everything. Haven't decided what to...yet.

The HQ throat is 16", but on the frame only about 12" is useful for quilting. It works well for me, but I would really love more throat space.

DH has maintained it for me since it was purchased it used in 2010. All that it has ever needed maintenance-wise was cleaning in the needle area, but of course, he opens it all up and cleans and inspects.

I suspect the Sweet 16 could have been used on a frame with a few modifications.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by patsan View Post
Are you saying you can set up a 10 or 12' frame to be an 8' frame if you wanted? That could solve so many space problems for so many people.
The 12' studio frame comes in three 4' sections, I opted to just set up two sections of it but I can add the last section to make it 12' if I want to. For the 10' studio frame you can purchase an optional 2' section to make it a 12' frame.

Cari
Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 AM

Thank you so much! It might be do-able that way! It works the same way, just a smaller frame?
Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM

If you are going to the Lancaster AQS show I suggest you take at least one long arm class. I am a sit down quilter but take long arm classes to learn as much as I can so when I can afford to switch over I will not be a complete beginner. Last 3 years the classes used HQ Avantes and you were able to purchase the class machines for a discount. Take the machine home with you and have the frame shipped. Unless it is already spoken for you can actually get the machine you worked on. Also the HQ rep in the classroom will give you information you might not get from the sales rep on the show floor. Plus you get plenty of time on the machine to decide if you like it and like long arming. I enjoyed using the Avantes and now have a sweet sixteen that I love.
Your VA show may have a similar set up if classes are given so you might look into it.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:07 AM

I bought the Simply 16 with the Studio frame. I have it set up in the 8' configuration. I also bought the rear handle bars. It's wonderful!