Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I am a believer.

Blog Entries

I am a believer.

I just changed rotary blade. Enuff said

Hi,

I was at a quilt camp this past week end and we discussed why is it we wait so long to change that blade? Each time we do we marvel at the difference in cutting! Enuff said!

I change my machine needle all the time, but struggle with a dull blade for a while.....difference in replacement price maybe?

Bev
    Our lives are like quilts....bits and pieces....joys and sorrows....stitched together with love.
    Babylock Crescendo, Elegante2, and Ellure.....for the love of sewing!

Stock up on blades when you find a good sale. I often buy a dozen or two and then it is not so painful when you need to change them. You'll cut so much better and it is also much safer to cut with a sharp blade as you are not using as much pressure and force which could result in a nasty cut to you.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

It is amazing that we will spend up to $12/yd for fabric with hardly batting an eye and then put the brakes on when it comes to replacing a rotary blade. Most of us probably live near a Joann's where they have at least a 40% off coupon weekly that we can use on a blade and if you can afford to get a five pack - much better for you than a six pack!

In fact Joanns has a 5 pack of 45 mm blades on sales this week for I believe $16.99 and it is also Military appreciation and if you have Military ID you get an additonal 20% off of regular and sale priced items!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adnil458 View Post
    I just changed rotary blade. Enuff said
    LOL!!!!!

Yep, duh, as I slap heel of hand to forehead!!
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    I finally changed my blade. I have been cutting a Lemoine star out using Marty Mitchell templates with engineered corners. I can't believe how much easier it was cutting. Just whip me with a wet noodle.

Mary

Blades can often be found on eBay at a reasonable price.

Amen Sister!!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries
    I changed my blade yesterday because it started skipping. I just changed it last month and I haven't done a tremendous amount of cutting. I have a sufficient supply of blades that I shouldn't hesitate to change my blade when I feel like I should. Just too cheap!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I broke down and bought one of those linear blade sharpeners, works on any size blade and almost every style of rotary cutter. Here is a link to the product page at the Grace Company, who makes it. I got a great deal for mine on Amazon. It won't get out nicks or repair a damaged blade, but it will sharpen one that's just gotten dull. Blades are expensive, I want to make mine last as long as possible!

http://www.graceframe.com/site/rotar...inea-sharpener
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork

"Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast