Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a believer. >

I am a believer.

I am a believer.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bevsie View Post
Hi,

I was at a quilt camp this past week end and we discussed why is it we wait so long to change that blade? Each time we do we marvel at the difference in cutting! Enuff said!

I change my machine needle all the time, but struggle with a dull blade for a while.....difference in replacement price maybe?

Bev
I buy my blades at Harbor Freight $1.89 for 2 blades.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Sometimes it is not the blade but the cutting board. They are more expensive to replace, but if you use rulers instead of cutting on the same lines on your cutting board they last longer. Yes, I do get the thrill of a new blade and how well it cuts but we do like to make them last as long as possible.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM

I bought 10 pks of blades from Harbor Freight - wonderful. Gave several away. Bought second 10 pks and now I know what everyone else is talking about. Don't think I had a good one in the bunch. Just changed to an Olfa blade that I've had new in pkg for a loooooong time. WOW! ! ! ! Like cutting butter with a hot knife.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
It is amazing that we will spend up to $12/yd for fabric with hardly batting an eye and then put the brakes on when it comes to replacing a rotary blade. Most of us probably live near a Joann's where they have at least a 40% off coupon weekly that we can use on a blade and if you can afford to get a five pack - much better for you than a six pack!

In fact Joanns has a 5 pack of 45 mm blades on sales this week for I believe $16.99 and it is also Military appreciation and if you have Military ID you get an additonal 20% off of regular and sale priced items!

Oh, will need to check this out...I am also guilty as charged about not changing them out. Changing them out before they are dull will also prolong the life of your rotary cutting mat. Talk about an expense there!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought the Gingher blades and boy, what a difference to me, compared to the other blades. So sharp and last so long. I bought Harbor Freight blades and IMO I didn't like them at all. It was like I was putting on used blades. So now I have a bunch of HF blades that I'll never use. I bought a bunch of Gingher blades and haven't had to change my blade out yet. I love to cut and when I cut, I put my strength going straight down, not going against the ruler. I think that might be one reason why my blades last long. I never get nicks from the rulers because I don't push against them. But I truly believe in the Gingher blades!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 PM

Okay I will admit I have not even tried to change mine.....true confession time!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Janie67 View Post
Does anyone have one of those new electric blade sharpeners? Are they worth the money?
We love our TruCut electric sharpener. Twenty seconds on a side and the blade was like new again. I wouldn't waste $$ on the others and I've tried several. Check out their rulers and ergonomic cutters while you are there. We just were working on cutting for Jinny Beyer DaVinci quilt. 3/4, 7/8, 1 1/4 etc WOF cuts. Didn't have any trouble cutting with their rulers. Figuring how to put this thing together may be something else again!