Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a believer. >

I am a believer.

I am a believer.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bevsie View Post
why is it we wait so long to change that blade?
For me, it's because the change in the sharpness of the blade is so gradual, I don't realize it's dull until I get frustrated.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
Sounds like a dead spot in your mat rather than the blade.
My blade starts skipping after I accidentally run into an acrylic ruler. The ruler leaves a nick in the blade.

The best way to diagnose if it's your blade or a dead spot in the mat is to leave the fabric exactly where you cut it and change the blade. If it cuts fine on a new blade, then it's not the mat.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Ok, ok, I'll change it tomorrow. Honest!
Annie
Old 11-06-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info on dead spots on mats. I'll try that.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
Sounds like a dead spot in your mat rather than the blade.
No, it was the blade! When I changed to a new one, I cut in the same area on my mat and no skips! I'm sure I nicked it because I remember thinking "Dang it (cleaned up version ), now I bet it will start skipping!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
For me, it's because the change in the sharpness of the blade is so gradual, I don't realize it's dull until I get frustrated.
Yeah, what she said!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
I bought the electric TrueSharp from Amazon a few months ago. I found it is best to use the coarse stone first a couple times before using the fine stone. It does a nice job but it takes time....what I do is sharpen a few at a time, asembly line fashon. I discovered the cutting mat makes a BIG difference. Those white mats that are sold by Joann Fabrics are way too rough on the blades and actually dull them faster. Olfa and Fiskar mats are better, but I found this Big Mat at a sew expo (also available at www.seweasyproducts.com) It has an extra smooth surface with a 5-yr. warranty. The mats come in several sizes, too. My blades actually stay sharp a lot longer. Hope this helps.
I wondered if anyone else had noticed how much difference the mat makes...I am not sure what brand of white mat I got the second time, but it was just as rough on my blades as the old white mat. I bought it a few years ago at the Indiana Heritage quilt show...was a complete waste. I started using it and my blade just gave out after very little time. I do not know what made me think to change mats...I could not believe the difference. I can cut and cut and cut as long as I use the fiskar/olfa type of mat.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 AM

Yup! Mine's been skipping lately but have I changed the blade yet?? Nope... but I will now with this great reminder.
Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 AM

I used to put off changing blades because I always had so much trouble doing it. I never seemed to get the blade on the first time so it wasn't skipping even worse than the old one. I finally broke down and bought the Olfa quick change rotary cutter. I love it!!!!!! I used a 50% coupon at Joann's and it was worth every penny.
http://www.amazon.com/Olfa-Quick-Cha.../dp/B00168253A
And as others have mentioned, I use my discount coupons to buy blades at 40 or 50% off.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 AM

Does this apply to a RETIRED military ID?????
Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
It is amazing that we will spend up to $12/yd for fabric with hardly batting an eye and then put the brakes on when it comes to replacing a rotary blade. Most of us probably live near a Joann's where they have at least a 40% off coupon weekly that we can use on a blade and if you can afford to get a five pack - much better for you than a six pack!

In fact Joanns has a 5 pack of 45 mm blades on sales this week for I believe $16.99 and it is also Military appreciation and if you have Military ID you get an additonal 20% off of regular and sale priced items!