Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am embarrased to ask, but.... >

I am embarrased to ask, but....

I am embarrased to ask, but....

Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by dgmoby
I also watched the video, and it was nice Holice.

One thing I would add is that using a self-threading needle is extremly helpful in tieing and burying threads. (Don't have to depend on those bifocals that way!) Or if a self-threading needle is not something you have on hand, then using any larger eyed needle works very well (not a between!). I tie and bury both threads together, at beginning and ending of the quilting process. This works well for me.

If you still need additional tips on choosing a design to fit the quilt, just let me know. I'll be happy to share what I've learned/taught as well.

Debbie in Austin
I bought one of those things that you put your needle in and lay the thread across a spot and then put a lever down and it threads the needle for you. I can't remember the name of it, but it is quite handy and saved my patience several times.

Please share your tips with me/us? It sounds like others are having the same problem I do. Thanks for any help/tips.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 AM

I look at the block, and then the overall patterns of the quilt. If it's very angular, I try to soften it up with curvatious quilting. If the patterns are softer, then I do less quilting to let that come through.
When using a panto, I try to pick one that is relatively the same size as the blocks.
And sometimes, I just 'wing it."
Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

You can audition different designs. Get yourself some plastic that is good for Overhead projectors. (at least A3 size is good)
Bind the edges with a tape so that you know where the edges are.
Lay your plastic sheet over your quilt and use Overhead Projector pens to draw possible designs in the blocks of your quilt. If you don't like them, erase and try again. The tape helps to stop you useing your pen right on the edges and inadvertantly marking the quilt.

This isn't my original idea, I saw it somewhere on the net, but can't remember where.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
You can audition different designs. Get yourself some plastic that is good for Overhead projectors. (at least A3 size is good)
Bind the edges with a tape so that you know where the edges are.
Lay your plastic sheet over your quilt and use Overhead Projector pens to draw possible designs in the blocks of your quilt. If you don't like them, erase and try again. The tape helps to stop you useing your pen right on the edges and inadvertantly marking the quilt.

This isn't my original idea, I saw it somewhere on the net, but can't remember where.
this is a really great idea- I will look for the plastic. thank you.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:58 AM
RST

For me, it's far easier to just take a digital photo of the quilt, print it out as a full page (gray scale so I'm looking at values, not hues) and doodle on the quilt until I find something I like.

IF I have repeating blocks and want my quilting design to relate to the blocks, I will just put the block on my scanner (or a photocopy machine) and print out several copies. Again I play around and doodle on those with a marker until I find a design I like. The actual doodling helps create a brain/movement connection and makes the free motion quilting come more smoothly.

RST
Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

If the quilt has lots of straight lines in the pattern I use curves and circles to quilt it. If the quilt has curves in the pattern I use straight lines. This is the basic rule I follow when I can't decide.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 AM

I just let the quilt talk to me. No formula. Most I quilt for leave it up to me also.