Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am embarrased to ask, but.... >

I am embarrased to ask, but....

I am embarrased to ask, but....

Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 AM

I have been quilting for awhile now, and while I really love it, there is one step that I wish I could skip-the actual quilting. I do my own on a frame and mid-arm and that is all great, but how in the world do you decide what pattern to use on the quilt once it makes it to the frame?
I have read books, asked other quilters and no one seems to know if there is a formula or something to tell you which pattern to use, and yet when you look at a quilt, the quilted pattern seems to suit it.
Another question- what about thread color? I now use varigated and that seems to look ok and blend well.
Soooo, does anyone have any ideas on how to choose a pattern? I would really appreciate your thoughts, otherwise I will be quilting squiggles all over my quilts for the rest of my life!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 AM

Good question!!! I love everything about making a quilt...except the quilting. Go figure...LOL. My problem is: I know what quilting design I'd like for a quilt but I can't do it!! I have struggled with FMQ for a long time and just can't get the hang of it so I stick to simple straight stitches that I know I can do.

I think it depends on the quilt pattern what design you choose for the quilting. I've seen some gorgeous quilting (by long armer's) but sometimes it seems there is too much quilting on a piece. Every square inch seems to be covered. Maybe that's me, but I don't like everything covered.

I just finished a very simple fence rail for a friend of mine and would like to put some circles on it for the quilting because everything is so "square". I'm not sure how I would do that, but I think the quilting should add some interest to the quilt and not overwhelm it...IMHO :)
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Banned

I believe I discussed your question on a segment of QuiltersTV. Go to the site on the internet and under Quilters Cafe check to see if the show is scheduled.
There is a book titled "Quilting the Quilt" that deals with the subject also. It shows the same quilt but quilted with different motifs.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:56 AM

As discussed in another thread, intended use plays a huge factor. I have seen some spectacular art quilts where the quilter has truly turned the actual quilting into an integral part of the design.

For regular quilts, I prefer simpler patterns. I am not a huge fan of generic, overall patterns though.

I do agree that choosing the correct pattern is not easy and probably comes from lots of experience.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
I believe I discussed your question on a segment of QuiltersTV. Go to the site on the internet and under Quilters Cafe check to see if the show is scheduled.
There is a book titled "Quilting the Quilt" that deals with the subject also. It shows the same quilt but quilted with different motifs.
Thanks so much for the link- it is helpful and I didn't know this topic was popular. I'm watching it now.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 AM

That is my biggest problem. I just have no imagination for those things. I have to look for pictures with similar patterns for inspiration.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Many thanks - I am also watching your show as I type :-)
Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I have the same problem. I love the quilting part but spend a lot of time deciding the quilting pattern to use.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:52 AM

I too hate the quilting part but can't afford to send out.I just so the basic all over and hope it works.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 AM

I also watched the video, and it was nice Holice.

One thing I would add is that using a self-threading needle is extremly helpful in tieing and burying threads. (Don't have to depend on those bifocals that way!) Or if a self-threading needle is not something you have on hand, then using any larger eyed needle works very well (not a between!). I tie and bury both threads together, at beginning and ending of the quilting process. This works well for me.

If you still need additional tips on choosing a design to fit the quilt, just let me know. I'll be happy to share what I've learned/taught as well.

Debbie in Austin