Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a happy camper >

I am a happy camper

I am a happy camper

Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I had an older Kenmore that worked perfectly until I had it on during an electrical storm.....whew... after that... it would only stitch back wards.... I didn't try to get it fixed.
I was told when I bought my first electronic machine to always turn it off and then UNPLUG it during a storm because even with a regular surge protector it could get a surge that would damage it. I just started unplugging it after I finish sewing just in case. When I know a storm is coming, I unplug everything in my sewing room.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 PM

Donna, congratulations on getting a new machine. That's fantastic! I have nothing in my herd of machines except vintage -- and they all work -- my son was a SM Mechanic for 14 years, so I have a resident SM Mechanic who has a whole lot of common sense to go with his experience.
Jeanette
Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 AM

Yay, I'm happy that you had a good experience. It's good to know companies stand behind their warranty.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:59 AM

I also purchased my Janome 6500 Professional from them. However it runs loud or whiny (always has) so I took it in to the machine shop to be repaired. He called me yesterday to say that he's taken it apart twice and checked everything...no luck with the strange sound. Looks as if I'll be sending it back also.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:23 AM

I hope you have let SM+ know how pleased you are....sometimes we forget to praise the good......
Old 02-17-2017, 05:57 AM

The new way to fix electronics is to swap out expensive boards. The "mechanics" no longer know why thing dont work.
This is the new way to work on cars too....talk about expensive.....
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by donnai View Post
Took my sewing machine in as it started sewing backwards and needed servicing. got it back it sewed forwards for a while then again started sewing backwards again I took it back and he said it wouldn't sew backwards for him so he could not fix it. brought it home it sewed forwards then again started sewing backwards. I purchased machine from Sewing Machine Plus 4 years ago because they had offer of 5 year extended warrenty. Called them and they said send it in. Got a brand new machine from them last night. I will be buying my next machine from them when the time comes. I am very happy with their customer service
How cool is that? I know extended warranties get slammed but they can really come in handy when you need one.
Do they pick up the return cost? I am thinking sending a machine back can be costly.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I was told when I bought my first electronic machine to always turn it off and then UNPLUG it during a storm because even with a regular surge protector it could get a surge that would damage it. I just started unplugging it after I finish sewing just in case. When I know a storm is coming, I unplug everything in my sewing room.
I read on another board that someone had their printer plugged in and lightning hit it....it burned a lot of their home and tragically, they lost four of their pets....so sad. I just wonder if a whole house surge protector would have prevented something like this...Thinking out loud.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
The new way to fix electronics is to swap out expensive boards. The "mechanics" no longer know why thing dont work.
This is the new way to work on cars too....talk about expensive.....
It is a good thing they are replacing her machine...
Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 AM

I had an old machine one time that I loved & one day it started sewing backwards out of the blue. I took it in & he had no idea what was wrong. To this day I don't know. I still have the machine in the closet. I thought someday I would find a repairman that may of come across this problem & knows how to fix it but I don't want to put a lot of money in it.