Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Like Grip and Stitch Quilting Disks for FMG! >

I Like Grip and Stitch Quilting Disks for FMG!

I Like Grip and Stitch Quilting Disks for FMG!

Old 02-23-2015, 05:51 AM

Default I Like Grip and Stitch Quilting Disks for FMG!

I have been FMG for several years. I have tried many techniques but eventually started using Machingers exclusively. I have a Sweet 16 that I quilt on. I dislike the machinery because my hands get hot and I have to take them off everytime I stop and have to lift the quilt and feel for the bobbin thread. What a pain.

I attended the Austin, Texas Quiltcon show last Friday. There was a vendor there demonstrating the Grip and Stitch Quilting Disks for FMG a. She was demonstrating on a Bernina domestic sewing machine. Of course the quilt sandwich was small but I thought what the heck, I would give it a try. The disks worked remarkably well so I bought a set for $29.00. Was able to give them a try yesterday afternoon. Loaded up my grandmothers flower garden quilt on my Sweet 16. This quilt is a queen size. I have the Jennoup quilt system that helps me with the drag of a heavy quilt. I am VERY pleased with the ease of using the disks. 100 percent better than the machingers. Extremely happy with my purchase even thought I was skeptical to make the purchase.

Just like the Jennoop system, the grip and stitch was developed by a fellow quilter. Both of these ladies knew exactly what us quilters need!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

That looks interesting. I don't mind the machingers most of the time, but, they are a pain to take on and off.

Here is something else one of our board members showed. I got them, added elastic and do like them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t240933.html
Old 02-23-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Nice to know about these. I will check them out, gotta have the new fun tools. I love my Machingers though. They fit great. I can change the bobbin or pick up a pin with them on and I have small hands, size 5 ring size. Never noticed my hands getting hot.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I use the Playtex household gloves. I cut the cuff part down to the wrist and top of back of hand. Only thing left is fingers and palm. Hands don't get hot. Less expensive than anything else for me right now. They have grippers on fingers and palm.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:01 AM

Glad you found something that helps with your problem. Love the GMFG.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 AM

I use the rubbery shelf liners. I pick them up from dollar store and cut them the size I need for my hands.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 AM

I love my machingers! I've tried almost everything else too. With machingers on I can sew, thread my needles, almost anything. Never over heated in them. Perhaps I'm not working hard enough! Glad you found what works for you. THAT is the key to happy FMQ--finding what works for you. Happy sewing.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I haven't heard of these before but will be interesting to read more about them. I would love to see more of your GFG and how you are going to quilt it. Mine has been hanging in the closet unfinished because I am not sure how to go about quilting it.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I remember seeing a GFG quilted with close cross hatching in both direction making squares not diamonds. The straight lines really enhanced the pattern.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:20 AM

Kathy, I totally agree with you... I've hated those Machingers from the first day I bought 'em! They are way too hot and cumbersome for me. I use either the thinner gloves from Fons & Porter, or a cheap pair of gardening gloves I found at CVS. I've actually tried just about every product out there and I'm still looking for the "ideal"!