Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Like Grip and Stitch Quilting Disks for FMG! >

I Like Grip and Stitch Quilting Disks for FMG!

I Like Grip and Stitch Quilting Disks for FMG!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I haven't heard of these before but will be interesting to read more about them. I would love to see more of your GFG and how you are going to quilt it. Mine has been hanging in the closet unfinished because I am not sure how to go about quilting it.
I had this great idea that I would hand quilt it. Wrong, wrong, wrong! Too many hexagons. I took an extra block and played with it. Here is what I came up with. Picture of the front you cannot see much of the quilting. Here is a picture of the back.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 12:25 PM

wow! goodjob!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:21 AM

I use huge erasers (about 2 x 4 inches) that I get at the dollar tree. They grip great
Old 02-24-2015, 08:11 AM

Thumbs up gardening gloves

I get latex palmed gloves in the garden department. They have a spandex base and fit very snuggly. The latex palm grips the fabric well. I cut the tips of the fingers off so I can feel the fabric, change the bobbin and other stuff. In addition, the spandex helps to keep circulation going. I pay about $3 for them. I get them at a local box store. In addition, dollar tree has some clunky gardening gloves that have a rubberized palm. They are too clunky for sewing but work great to loosen jar lids. I don't even have to put them on, just grab them up and put them palm side on the jar lid and blamo....lid goes pop.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 AM

I use machingers and don't mind taking them off. I tried the foam ones, I think called by Batts, recommended by Paula Reid and didn't like them at all. Ann Petersonon on craftsy uses the rubber shelf liner and Sue Nichols uses the tips cut off from latex gloves. Haven't tried either of those.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:04 AM

I love my "Quilter's Tips". They are thin plastic (??) finger cots....just go on the finger tips and up an inch 1/2 or so. I have also used secretary's finger cots....work pretty well too.

I found all gloves too bulky, hot and they did not fit all my fingers well, esp. since I had surgery on my right thumb.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:06 AM

Good job!!!!

Originally Posted by KathyC9511 View Post
I had this great idea that I would hand quilt it. Wrong, wrong, wrong! Too many hexagons. I took an extra block and played with it. Here is what I came up with. Picture of the front you cannot see much of the quilting. Here is a picture of the back.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 AM

I've tried so many things and because of arthritis I love
Tommy copper fingerless gloves! I still have garden gloves
With the grips no sweaty hands they are comfy and light weight
And don't break the bank!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 PM

Have you tried using glycerin? It works great! Put a drop in your palm and rub it into your palms - it makes your hands just tacky enough to move the quilt. I quilt on a Baby Lock Tiara - same machine as the Sweet Sixteen. I just finished quilting a 124" square quilt with no problems - only the ones my chiropractor was able to fix! LOL!! You can find glycerin in the first aid department of Wal-Mart or move drug stores. A small bottle will last a lifetime and more and it's good for your skin!!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:19 PM

I like the Machingers gloves, my hands don't get hot like with some of the other.