Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about embroidery disks >

question about embroidery disks

question about embroidery disks

Old 03-18-2011, 05:20 AM

I recently purchased a Viking Designer 1 (which I LOVE), someone traded it in and I got if for a great price. My question is that it is not usb, but floppy disks. Where can I find new embroidery patterns for this? Have checked ebay, but so far nothing. Thanks in advance :D
Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 AM

I have A designer and I use lot of these patterns.
www.emblibrary.com -- Not sure but can you put them in file than send to A floppy
Old 03-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Ok, did you get the Disk Manager software for your PC? If not you need to go back to the dealer and get the software that will let you copy stuff from your PC to a floppy. YOu don't need the million dollar design software. If they don't have the designer 1 version, the one for the SE will work too. I think the disk is around $20. Then, if your PC doesn't have one, you need to go to a computer store and get an external floppy drive, I think I paid around $35 for mine. Now you can download designs from internet sites like
http://www.emblibrary.com
or free stuf from sites like ann the gran
onto your floppy disk and stick it into your sewing machine.
You can PM me with any questions about this machine. I've had one for 8 or 9 years.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 AM

thank you so much. No, I didn't get it, but will call her today. You may be hearing from me soon!! :thumbup:
Old 03-18-2011, 06:28 AM

I was wondering,do they still make those models with the CD's like that?Connie in CO
Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I was wondering,do they still make those models with the CD's like that?Connie in CO
The machine doesn't have a CD, it has a 3.5" floppy drive.

I just looked and the Disk Manager software was only bundled with 3D, so I'm not sure you can still get that. The minimum you need is Organizer. The Designer SE comes with a CD I think it's called connection or something. This is the disk that's $20. It's the software that allows you to connect your PC with your machine. You can't do this with the Designer I ;-( however, this disk does contain a copy of Organizer which will let you send a design to a floppy.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 AM

Dont know if this helps or not but you should be able to go to the library and transfer designs from a CD to a floppy and reverse. I've done this many times.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 AM

When searching, use the key words "embroidery cards" - not disks. I have the Viking Rose & my sister had the Designer I. They take differecnt cards, so make sure what you purchase the right ones for your machine.

My Viking Rose needs a computer program to transfer patterns downloaded - which I do not have. I assume that if the Designer I from the late 90's would also need the program & you need to see a Viking Dealer.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by michelehuston
I recently purchased a Viking Designer 1 (which I LOVE), someone traded it in and I got if for a great price. My question is that it is not usb, but floppy disks. Where can I find new embroidery patterns for this? Have checked ebay, but so far nothing. Thanks in advance :D
I had one.you need VIP customizer-it allows you to download and convert to the format you need.newer designers have a program with them that allows that.and a floppy disk drive as stated by some one already.I think you can have the machine upgraded to take a usb drive also
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

The older Viking Desinger 1 takes a 3.5" floppy disk, not a card. THe problem is that the floppy needs to be formatted in a specific way in order for the embroidery unit to read it, so you can't just copy & paste to a disk like most machines. So you need some software that will create it. It sure is worth the hassle though. this machine embroiders beautifully and will sew thru ANYTHING. You can hem jeans.