Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't know what I don't know

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

I don't know what I don't know

My sewing machine wouldn't use 40 wt. thread. It kept breaking after 10 seconds. Time after time. I had to change to 50 wt. cones. I wrote about it here. I wrote about it on the Bernina board. It went on for 2 1/2 years. I kept asking about it and complaining about my machine for 2 1/2 years. I quit using spools and used only 50 wt. cones.

Yesterday I took my machine to my dealer because it was clacking and the screen said to take it to the dealer. Well, I had not used it in 3 weeks! I told him, "Watch, it will work fine for you." He plugged it in and it worked fine for him. Why do things do that?

I told him about the thread. He asked what size needle I had in. I said 80. He said "no, no. You need 100 for 40 wt." He put in a 100 needle and put in some 40 wt. thread and it SEWED on my machine like nobody's business!!

It was because I was using the wrong size needle and I never knew that! Boy, do I feel like a dummy! I've been on this board a long time, but I don't recall reading about the bigger needle for the smaller wt. thread. I'm sure it's been written, but I must have overlooked it!

Anyway, today I am setting up my trusty machine and starting on Jenny Doan's Big Block Star Quilt. I am making 2 King quilts. I ordered 4 of her layer cakes she used in her YouTube video. And I bought 3 yards of cream for the background. I have been ready to go forever!!!

I'm sure everyone else knew about putting a bigger needle (100) in a smaller wt (40) thread. But, in case you don't, know you do, just like me. It has changed my life!!!! Truly!
    Last edited by jcrow; 12-12-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    the lower the thread number the thicker the thread... thus a larger-eyed needle is needed
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    here is some good information from Superior Threads
    https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...ad-is-measured
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    ..."It was because I was using the wrong size needle and I never knew that! Boy, do I feel like a dummy! I've been on this board a long time, but I don't recall reading about the bigger needle for the smaller wt. thread. I'm sure it's been written, but I must have overlooked it!"...
    Thread weights go in reverse order, so the 40 weight is actually thicker than the 50, so bigger thread, bigger needle.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Just curious - are you using a 40 wt thread to piece? If so - why, you do not need a thread that thick for piecing. It is great for doing work on top that will show - buttonhole stitch, decorative stitch, et. I think the standard for piecing is 50 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    Just curious - are you using a 40 wt thread to piece? If so - why, you do not need a thread that thick for piecing. It is great for doing work on top that will show - buttonhole stitch, decorative stitch, et. I think the standard for piecing is 50 wt.
    However, 40 wt works just fine for piecing if that's what you have or what you choose to use. Let's not make personal choice rules for others, shall we?
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I didn't know that, or the wt of sewing thread , thanks for the info.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I like using a 50 wt. thread for piecing, but a 40 wt. for appliqueing. And when I very seldom do bindings by machine. And I'm thinking, just thinking about machine quilting some small quilts, just checking to see if I can even do it and even like it. I see in magazines how customized their quilts are and I would like to be able to do that. I have BSR on my machine, so I am set up for machine quilting and need some confidence and practice.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by Milli View Post
    I didn't know that, or the wt of sewing thread , thanks for the info.

Ditto!
    ~Meganhttp://www.etsy.com/shop/K9CreativeHappiness is a new quilt and an old dog.

Thank you for the great info.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast