Well, I jumped in with both feet last night. I used a pantograph and it went ok. I had a few problems, but made some progress. My thread kept breaking because it winds around the pin above the spool. I found that the first place you thread through moves, so I am going to try moving it so it is directly over the top of the spool and see if that helps. My mom said to try that, but if that doesn't work to flip the spool over, maybe it is catching on the little notch.
The only reason I didn't try that last night is that after the last thread break, I couldn't get the first stitches to lock. I did the stitch and then pulled the bobbin thread up to the top, then did a couple of stitches in the same place. I gave both threads a little tug and they didn't stick.
After sleeping on it, I wonder if my bobbin is in backwards.