Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need help getting info on this!

I found this ironer today that looks and works great. I'd like to know how old it is but I can't find any info on the internet. So-o I figure this is the next place to go.
    Anyone know what the value might be?
    Seems like it would be great to iron fabric after washing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

You have come across a machine we used in the '50's. It was before we could afford dryers and hung our sheets outside to dry. This is an iron for sending the sheets through. I got really good with it and could even iron husbands shirts. It's got a name, I think it was "clothes mangler"

Too funny! It is called a "mangle". My parents owned a motel and we used to launder all of our sheets, and before permanent press became widely available we used this mangle for pressing. I can't tell you the age of this, but do not expect it to give you good crisp seams. These were mainly used in laundry services that are only looking for a quick method to iron huge amounts of linens. We used ours in the early to mid 70's and it was old then.

I remember using one of those as a child, ironing hankies. We called it a mangle. Don't ask me why. But it sure did work good on flat items. Not as portable as this one appears. Ours was in a cabinet and weighed a LOT!!!

i used to iron sheets and pillow cases on one in the late 50' early 60'

I used one of those as a kid ... though ours was a floor model, self standing!

Sheets, tea towels, hankies, aprons ... most anything. We even did my Dad's shirts on it.

Strange enough ... I was thinking of it the other day, and thinking how it'd be nice for ironing fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    I used one of those as a kid ... though ours was a floor model, self standing!

Sheets, tea towels, hankies, aprons ... most anything. We even did my Dad's shirts on it.

Strange enough ... I was thinking of it the other day, and thinking how it'd be nice for ironing fabric!
    I thought it'd be nice for ironing fabric because I hate ironing large pieces on my ironing board. I don't have space for a large ironing table.

Blog Entries
    This looks like a "portable" model. My mother had one that was about 4 feet long and was 4 ft high. It was free standing. Believe it or not I learned how to iron on it. It was huge. In those days women had "washing" rooms where these could be housed. It would be great for ironing fabric. Enjoy your find. I mentioned about using one on my facebook page and 2 people contacted me about giving me theirs. I just wish I had a place to keep it.

Great vintage item...I imagine it would work great for ironing those large pieces of fabrics.

Wow - I remember our neighbor having one. I loved going over and ironing hankies and pillow cases for her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast