Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help getting info on vintage standard machine >

Need help getting info on vintage standard machine

Need help getting info on vintage standard machine

Old 08-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Need help getting info on vintage standard machine

Does anyone know about the Standard company sewing machines? I was just given one, and I am unable to even find a picture of it online anywhere. I have searched for days. It has an eagle with a tire around in on the bed of the machine. It is very plain looking, no fancy designs. I have tried to post pictures, but and error message says the site is unavailable. I know all about the history of the company and that Singer bought them out, but haven't found anything about my machine. The Standard name is in large letters on the body of the machine front.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-30-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:15 PM

I know they were made in Ohio I have one does yours have a coffin top?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 PM

I replied to Help posting a picture hopefully that will help.

In the mean time, for your browsing pleasure here are some links about Standard sewing machines:
1904 Standard Rotary Treadle Sewing Machine
http://needlebar.org/cm/thumbnails.php?album=261&page=2
http://needlebar.org/cm/thumbnails.php?album=261
http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...0014/index.htm

According to my notes about the Smithsonian link have that it is from 1895. Looks like some may be for industrial use.

As you probably have noticed while searching for the brand name Standard you are getting a lots of hits about ordinary machines. Even searching Quilting Board, one gets a lot of hits that have nothing to do with what you are looking for, but maybe the first few (where I got the one above from) https://www.google.com/search?num=50....0.ktRbQE3kYoU

Looking forward to seeing your "new" machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:06 PM

Standards are great. Is it a slim or stout? Not official names, but what we use to differentiate . Once determined, you need to look for accessories, if you don't have them. A spider is a must. Replaces the bobbin case, so you can do chain stitch. SEE HERE
http://needlebar.org/main/survresult...rd1/index.html
Great info!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 PM

Nope, Mine is in a cabinet. If I could only post a pic., but I haven't been able to yet.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2 View Post
Nope, Mine is in a cabinet. If I could only post a pic., but I haven't been able to yet.
Problems with posting photos are usually caused because they are too large. You can reduce the size of the photo using most any photo editing program, including Paint, which is found in your Windows accessories folder. Most programs call it "resizing".

bkay
Old 08-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Thanks, I do see my machine. It says 0050 Rotary Late Model. Mine has the eagle with the tire on the machine bed and doesn't have any fancy decals at all. It also has the really fancy door that lifts up to the bobbin area from above. I have JPG pictures, but when I chose them, and hit the download button, nothing happens. So I still can't post pictures.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:36 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599176[/ATTACH] I got it resized!!!!! Thanks so much, everybody, for your help. I will resize a couple more and post them
Attached Thumbnails resized-pic-my-machine.jpg  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:47 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599177[/ATTACH] Ok, now you can all see it and hopefully help me find out it's birthday and where I can get parts and attachments. A lot of attachments came with the machine, but they are Singer and Geist, and those won't work on a STANDARD. At least that is what I read here on the Quilting Board. It was a machine my mother-in-law bought but never cleaned up and used. It is filthy underneath and has some rust, but all in all it is in pretty nice shape. I have no attachments that came with the machine, only the ones I was given, mentioned above. Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails resized-pic-my-machine-2.jpg  
Old 08-08-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2 View Post
.... A lot of attachments came with the machine, but they are Singer and Geist, and those won't work on a STANDARD. At least that is what I read here on the Quilting Board. ...
I do not have a Standard, however, Greist made many attachments for different machines. Maybe you can take some pictures of the Greist attachments. I'm sure the Singer feet won't work. It looks like Greist made attachments for at least some of the Standard machines as indicated at http://www.treadleon.net/library/topclampingfeet.pdf

I would say that what you have is considered a "Stout Standard." I'm guessing that the serial number would be on the stitch length plate over on the right of the bed. I'm also going to guess that more than likely the machine would be from the 1920s as I believe that is when machines went to a simpler gold decal design.

Good luck on getting this machine back to its original purpose. I'm sure someone like Macybaby or Farmhousesewer and others would be better able to help with more accurate info (since I'm just guessing).

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-08-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: change run together