Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help....please >

I need help....please

I need help....please

Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 AM

Smile I need help....please

I am fairly new to quilting and have never made a quilt without a pattern. My nephew has asked me to make him a quilt with a western theme. I found the perfect panel which is 20W by 22L but no what do I do. I'd like to make a queen sized quilt but I'm not sure where to begin. I read here that many of you draft your own patterns and I tried but it seems I'm only wasting fabric by cutting it and trying to put it together. I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I would first add sashing to the center panel to make it 24 1/2 by 24 1/2. This will allow you to find a 12 1/2 inch block pattern you like and make enough of the blocks to surround and sew to the center panel.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

If you are new to quilting, I worry about doing such a large quilt. A standard queen size batting is 90" x 108". That means you need to add approximately 35" to each side of the panel and 43" to both the top and the bottom. If you add a 3" border to the panel, the remaining space can easily be filled with 8" finish blocks. Being a western theme, I would go with what is called the rail fence. I had a freebie pattern but I can't seem to find it. It was called Rodeo ?. Will PM you if I find it.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
If you are new to quilting, I worry about doing such a large quilt. A standard queen size batting is 90" x 108". That means you need to add approximately 35" to each side of the panel and 43" to both the top and the bottom. If you add a 3" border to the panel, the remaining space can easily be filled with 8" finish blocks. Being a western theme, I would go with what is called the rail fence. I had a freebie pattern but I can't seem to find it. It was called Rodeo ?. Will PM you if I find it.
I think the rail fence for a new quilter is very do-able! try a www.quilterscache.com for the pattern.... if it isn't .com then it's probably .net.

good luck!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 AM

Can you show us a pic of the panel. I have used panels and just added borders to them to make the size they needed. Maybe you could look at your patterns if inspiration. Take the colors of the panel and make small inner border and then make blocks for the border. you can take HST blocks and put the together is different way to make border like a zigzag! Also search on line for border ideas. Good luck!!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Banned

I just got one of mine back from the LAQ that I used a panel for and it seems to be a pretty big hit here. It is VERY easy to make too! Here is a link - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t236283.html
I have the pattern in EQ7 in case you have it.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by racerh View Post
I just got one of mine back from the LAQ that I used a panel for and it seems to be a pretty big hit here. It is VERY easy to make too! Here is a link - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t236283.html
I have the pattern in EQ7 in case you have it.
A very nice, cheerful quilt! (It may be a bit advanced for a beginner, though)
Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
A very nice, cheerful quilt! (It may be a bit advanced for a beginner, though)
Thanks bearisgray!
Well maybe the gingham blocks might be a bit hard - but those could be replaced with something easier like a nine patch. If she goes slowly I think she should do just fine
Oh and one thing I have learned is FIRST SQUARE your panel - they are NEVER square!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 01:01 PM

I have made a rail fence quilt but I'm just not sure that it will go well with this panel, or which fabrics I should use to make it look right. I am trying to post a picture of the panels, I bought them from http://westhillsdesigns.com
Old 12-10-2013, 01:09 PM