Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please forgive my ignorance in advance. Need help please. :) >

Please forgive my ignorance in advance. Need help please. :)

Please forgive my ignorance in advance. Need help please. :)

Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 PM

Default Please forgive my ignorance in advance. Need help please. :)

I am looking into another machine for quilting and I thought seriously about purchasing a vintage machine since I do a lot of piecing.

I came across the following on Craigslist. http://collegestation.craigslist.org...081440241.html

I think its a good deal, especially in the great shape its in. But looking at the pictures, where would the spool of thread go? Would I be wrong to ask the seller to let me test it out?

TIA

Sharon
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 AM

well it's 15 - 91. The spool pin is missing .. that one looks clean, it about twice of what the going price is,,,

I have one as nice as that ,, it is a good machine, yet I don't like it.... because of the front tension mount and where they placed the presser foot lever it's ( for me ) a PITA to use, but I'm male and have large hands..

if you want a old singer look for a late model 66 these are fool proof if something happens to the motor you can get one anywhere ,, that 15 _ 91 eat a motor and it will cost more for a new than another machine would cost ..

if it were 40 to 60 $ then yes but at 150 he should save it to make bags to hold all his gold..
Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 AM

in looking in your area I don't see much to choose from, I would check this one, no photo or model listed, yet it's a 1943,, meaning a decent model

at the bottom of the list in your area is one priced at 250 or best offer ,, thats a 221 fw teh one everyone wants the do sat OBO thi sone the resale value will always be what you payed or higher .. that 15 _ 91 would never sell for 150

http://collegestation.craigslist.org...045435708.html

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 06-22-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 AM

Thank you both so much
Old 06-22-2012, 05:40 AM

Sharon, it's a really NICE 15-91 in a super cabinet and bench. Love mine!! John is right, $150 is a bit steep, and you'd have to replace the spool pin, which should be no problem....
You absolutely should try the machine, take a scrap of fabric (preferably a solid so you can see stitches easily) and it looks like you'd need a thread stand as well if you have one. If not, wing it...but try it out. Check the wiring. (It looks to be in fairly decent shape in the pics).
Don't forget that if the tension is off a bit, the lack of a spool pin (EASY find, I think I might have one for you) the machine needs oil, etc., are all easy fixes...but you can use them to bargain with.
Give them an apologetic look, tell them that you don't mean to insult them, but would they consider $50 or $75 since you will have some work to do on it before you can sew. See what happens, and let us know if you need a spool pin!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:34 AM

Hi Sharon,

Not sure if it's an issue, but most of the 15-91's & 201's need rewiring. Oftentimes you can bend the wire on itsself and the wire insulation will just crack or crumble. Especially look at the 4" of wire between the motor and bakelite connector, the rest can be replaced or rewired. Easy fix for someone that knows wiring basics but expensive if you need to send to shop.

I oftentimes use bad wiring (which I count on) to talk the price down and explain how dangerous the machine is (with dramatic flair).

Good Luck
Jon
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 AM

Sharon,

As nice of a machine as it is, unless I could test run it and test sew with it, I'd pass. It would make a good piecing machine, but it has one problem that I can't tolerate. The position of the light in relationship to the presser bar lever. I have a thread running here on how I changed out the light on my HOTHER due to getting burned. That 15-91 is set up exactly the same as my HOTHER.
Like notsureif said they are a PITA to use.

Honestly I'd love to have the cabinet, but I'd put a 66-16 in it. Bigger harp, better placement of the tension, regular belt type motor that's easy to replace and work on.

JMHO

Joe
Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I decided to pass and continue with the machine I have. Maybe one day I'll come across a great deal closer to home.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

Guys
If the electric is all right they do some real nice free motion. You can't ask for better. As far as the tension on the nose? You don't have it is your way to look at what you are doing. I think the price is a little steep if it hasn't been rewired but those are a real nice machine. If it does need to be rewired and you have some ability, Rain has a very thorough tutorial on his blog: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/rewiring Rain is a QB member and he has other info on his blog for these neat old machines. You can order that spool pin on line for not very much.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 AM

Should have mentioned what a great machine the 15-91 is after going on about the wiring. The 15's are my favorite non Davis.

Jon