Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please forgive my ignorance in advance. Need help please. :) >

Please forgive my ignorance in advance. Need help please. :)

Please forgive my ignorance in advance. Need help please. :)

Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Jon, everybody has their favorite - the 15s are one of my favorites - they are so simple...
Old 06-24-2012, 05:38 AM

Hi Sharon, you should absolutely ask the owner if you could test it out. However, unless you have a freestanding spool tree, as you observed you would have no place to put the thread.

If you do buy the machine, it requires a "metal tap-in spool pin" which costs just $0.49 at Sew-Classic:

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Spool-Pi...ndard-YA-1.htm

Putting it in is pretty easy. You just place the pointy end in the hole at the very top of the curvature on the arm of the machine--in other words, imagine the top of the machine is a snowy hill, you'll find the hole at the spot where you'd start sledding from--make sure the pin is straight up and down, and tap it in with a hammer.

As for the price of the machine being a good deal or not, it's all up to you. Since there's no consistently-used "Blue Book," like there is with used cars, people buy and sell these things for whatever numbers they pluck out of thin air.

Have a look at the wiring and run the motor for a bit to see how it all sounds. Turn the handwheel over by hand to ensure it turns smoothly. Most importantly, check the terminal (the part where all of the wires plug into the machine) and ensure there is no hardened black goop dripping out of it. Lastly, I'd tilt the machine back and look at the underside to ensure there isn't any rust.

good luck with it,