Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pardon my ignorance, but...

Pardon my ignorance, but...

I mostly shop online or at Hancock's for my fabrics, and only once have even purchased a jelly roll. The other day I saw some very reasonably-priced 5" charm packs online, but could not tell how many "charms" were in a pack. Is there some easy way to tell and I just missed it?

Here is a site you maybe interested in. I am not sure the other fabric compaines do the same. They would be close to these amounts as Moda set the standered on precuts.
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/p/bakery.html
    Luann in CT
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

I have seen charms with 40-42 pcs and some with half that. Just take a look at this page and you will see some with 21, 30, 40 and 42 pieces http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...=&Search_Text= I would definitely want to know the number of charm pieces too so I would call or email them to get the info. When I went to Hancock's, it looks like they put the number of charm pieces at the end of the title.http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...packs--srcin-1

Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
    I have seen charms with 40-42 pcs and some with half that. Just take a look at this page and you will see some with 21, 30, 40 and 42 pieces http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...=&Search_Text= I would definitely want to know the number of charm pieces too so I would call or email them to get the info. When I went to Hancock's, it looks like they put the number of charm pieces at the end of the title.http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...packs--srcin-1
    Yes, I see a great variation, but at least those tell you how many! I was on Amazon with third-party sellers, and they just didn't say. The prices were about $8.67 per pack, tho, and that was tempting (but not if there are only 10 squares!).

I am glad you posted this. I really didn't know much about the differences either.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    Yes, I see a great variation, but at least those tell you how many! I was on Amazon with third-party sellers, and they just didn't say. The prices were about $8.67 per pack, tho, and that was tempting (but not if there are only 10 squares!).
    LATER: Oops! I just re-looked at one on Amazon and in the fine print at the bottom it explained how many charms there were and how many different prints...maybe all of them are like that and I just was too impatient.

I just bought my first Jelly Rolls today on Ebay..They were 14.99 for 50 strips. For that price I figured I can't go wrong, and it will give me the opportunity to work with them before I spend more money on something I might now like.

I only buy Charm Packs from Missouri Quilt Co., their Deal of the Day is pretty good, and depends on the makers, some have as little as 22, others have as many as 42. I've got a BIG stack of them, perfect for making almost anything. I signed up with them, last week I ordered one for 99 cents, shipping was as always, $5.00 A nice one. Also ordered a "Twice the Charm"pack with dainty pastel fabrics by Robyn Pandolph with 27.. 5-1/2 by 22 inch" strips, that I can cut into 2-1/2 strips, make 5x5" squares. A great deal there! Its different with different manufacturers.

I have seen different companies put different amounts. you might look at JoAnn's or Tuesday Mornings for some that are very reasonable in price

I've noticed that the jelly rolls do not always contain 40 strips and the charm packs do not always contain 42 charms but, usually, they are marked on the label.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I just bought my first Jelly Rolls today on Ebay..They were 14.99 for 50 strips. For that price I figured I can't go wrong, and it will give me the opportunity to work with them before I spend more money on something I might now like.
    Just don't expect quilt shop quality when you buy these off of ebay. They are often older fabric, from discount stores or walmart and are just horrid. I bought some to find out why they could sell them so cheap...and now I know...they use very poor fabrics. UNLESS you are buying a "name brand" collection you also run the risk of getting 3-4 strips of just 10 different fabrics! I really pays well to do all of your homework/research and not just go by the $ amount you see.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matraina View Post
    I've noticed that the jelly rolls do not always contain 40 strips and the charm packs do not always contain 42 charms but, usually, they are marked on the label.
    yep, like at hobby lobby...only 20-22 and so you need to buy 2 of them and it ends up costing more than a GOOD one from Moda! I am not a fan of Moda, but at least their products are better than HL, WM, etc.

I just bought my first Jelly Rolls today on Ebay..They were 14.99 for 50 strips.
    Oh, do share pictures of the fabrics that you get and give us your impressions of the weave, shrinkage, feel of the fabric, etc. Thank you!

I'd like to hear back from you after you receive the jelly rolls -- quality of weave, prints, etc. That certainly is a good price!

[QUOTE=jaciqltznok;5381842]Just don't expect quilt shop quality when you buy these off of ebay. They are often older fabric, from discount stores or walmart and are just horrid. I bought some to find out why they could sell them so cheap...and now I know...they use very poor fabrics.[/QUOTE

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but you cannot judge every seller by another. I have bought EXCELLENT quality fabric on Ebay that was not name brand fabric. I bought it because it was the color and pattern that I liked not because of the price. I was exactly what I expected, top quality and exactly as described. That has been my experience 99% of the time with Ebay. But I shop carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by janegb View Post
    I only buy Charm Packs from Missouri Quilt Co., their Deal of the Day is pretty good, and depends on the makers, some have as little as 22, others have as many as 42. I've got a BIG stack of them, perfect for making almost anything. I signed up with them, last week I ordered one for 99 cents, shipping was as always, $5.00 A nice one. Also ordered a "Twice the Charm"pack with dainty pastel fabrics by Robyn Pandolph with 27.. 5-1/2 by 22 inch" strips, that I can cut into 2-1/2 strips, make 5x5" squares. A great deal there! Its different with different manufacturers.
    I always buy from MOSQC.....they are very customer friendly and I love Jennie's you-tube videos

I've only bought one jelly roll, and have bought the charm packs a few times, but it usually says how many.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

QKO
    In a lot of online shops, you will find product listing pages, and product detail pages. The product listing pages usually contain a list or display of several or many products, each with a very short description.

You can usually click on the product on the product page to get to the product detail page for that product. In good shops, the product detail page will contain a full description of the product, including for instance how many pieces are in the pack.

Running an online quilt shop, we find that a lot of people don't know that you can get more information on any product in many stores by drilling down like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    Oh, do share pictures of the fabrics that you get and give us your impressions of the weave, shrinkage, feel of the fabric, etc. Thank you!
    I am not expecting the greatest fabric, but after hearing mixed reviews on making the Jelly Roll quilts I wanted to try one and not spend a lot to do it. If I like the process, I want to buy some of the ones I have seen in the online shops. I figure if I don't enjoy making this one, I havent spent a lot to do so..And I could be suprised and nget secent fabric...
    I could not load the image, but here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271015925397...84.m1497.l2649

I realize the variety is not great, but will serve the purpose I have for it

I am not expecting the greatest fabric, but after hearing mixed reviews on making the Jelly Roll quilts I wanted to try one and not spend a lot to do it. If I like the process, I want to buy some of the ones I have seen in the online shops. I figure if I don't enjoy making this one, I havent spent a lot to do so..And I could be suprised and nget secent fabric...
    I could not load the image, but here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271015925397...84.m1497.l2649

I realize the variety is not great, but will serve the purpose I have for it
    I recently made two jelly roll quilts to use up stash, and they are fine. If I can, I will append a picture of one of them. They use a lot of thread, but there are no complicated points to match up! BTW I like the look of that group I saw on your link.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There a several websites now that specialize in precuts like jelly rolls and charms. They sell either the precuts or make their own from major lines. Just query precuts. Green Fairy is one I know off the top and many shops do carry precuts. Other shops are making their own, like Cozy Quilt shop, whicn designs a lot of patterns for strips.

Quote Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
    There a several websites now that specialize in precuts like jelly rolls and charms. They sell either the precuts or make their own from major lines. Just query precuts. Green Fairy is one I know off the top and many shops do carry precuts. Other shops are making their own, like Cozy Quilt shop, whicn designs a lot of patterns for strips.
    I was trying to get a great product for a low, low price. . .

I buy jelly rolls and charm packs from Connecting Threads. They call them strips and squares. Just bought a pack of 24 5" squares in clearance for $1.56.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    I recently made two jelly roll quilts to use up stash, and they are fine. If I can, I will append a picture of one of them. They use a lot of thread, but there are no complicated points to match up! BTW I like the look of that group I saw on your link.
    That's a pretty quilt there. Thanks for asking the question as I learned some info I wasn't even aware I needed to know.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Almost all the Moda charm packs have 40-42 in them. Other fabric lines often less. Have bought charm packs from Connecting Threads at a ridiculously low price and they usually have around 20 so I pick up two packs. Hard to go wrong with either two companies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast