Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pardon my ignorance, but...

Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
    I have seen charms with 40-42 pcs and some with half that. Just take a look at this page and you will see some with 21, 30, 40 and 42 pieces http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...=&Search_Text= I would definitely want to know the number of charm pieces too so I would call or email them to get the info. When I went to Hancock's, it looks like they put the number of charm pieces at the end of the title.http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...packs--srcin-1
    And I saw one with just 12 in it so you really have to know before you buy.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    I mostly shop online or at Hancock's for my fabrics, and only once have even purchased a jelly roll. The other day I saw some very reasonably-priced 5" charm packs online, but could not tell how many "charms" were in a pack. Is there some easy way to tell and I just missed it?
    I was just thinking the same thing when I was looking at the sales yesterday. Some of the packs listed 40 and some did not, same with the 10" squares as well. Normally the pack has 40 pieces, but I like to see that listed in the description just to be sure it is really a bargain, .
    If you quilt fast enough, does it count as aerobic exercise? Bernice Manning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
    Here is a site you maybe interested in. I am not sure the other fabric compaines do the same. They would be close to these amounts as Moda set the standered on precuts.
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/p/bakery.html
    Luann in CT
    It would be great if all manufacturers would follow the same standards. I have found in the past when purchasing pre-cuts, the sizes very. For example, fat quarters according to Moda are 18 X 22 but in reality the amount of usable fabric varies as the width of fabric on the bolt is any where between 40-45 inches. Not to mention if they leave the selvage edges on reduces the amount of usable fabric.

I have found out the hard way when purchasing pre-cuts for a particular pattern, buy extra as the sizes can very and the pattern makers are usually write the fabric requirements from the standards. And it's hard to find extra a year or so when you get to making that project.

I also think that pre-cuts are great if you are planning on making a scrappy quilt because you can mix and match and you do not have to worry about having enough of one particular pattern/color. Also, if you do a lot of applique.
    The Quilting Bear

My Tuesday Mornings store has just about gotten rid of the sewing & crafts dept. Very disappointing. I could find some great books & sewing items at great prices. So what's a girl to do?
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I am not expecting the greatest fabric, .... snip.....
    I realize the variety is not great, but will serve the purpose I have for it
    Wow, that's a gorgeous color mix. It looks like it's a little on the loose weave side, but it may work out just fine for you.

Check it out when you receive it. If you have a linen tester (looks like a jeweler's loupe) you can count the threads per inch - 50 or 60 will give you a durable enough fabric that your quilt will hold together.

Here's hoping - I really do love those colors!

Ah, I just read the auction - these are by General Fabrics and they're not known for durability or fade-resistance. Quilt the heck out of the quilt, use a lightweight batting (like a low-loft poly) so as not to strain the fabrics in the top and a sturdy backing to support the top - that way, it'll be plenty strong. I think if you can wash the quilt in Retayne, it will help hold the colors better. It's gonna be really pretty with those prints.

Call hancocks They are so helpful.I needed to know the size of a print and the lady measured it for me
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Thank you for the sites! I have saved in my favs so when I do finally purchase jelly rolls, I will know what I'm getting. I have always wondered if there would be enough to complete a quilt.

Got the order from ebay today. I actually isn't loose weaved at all!! I even used hot hot water to test for bleeding...and all is good.I like the colors. The only drawback is variety..only 4 different fabrics. But all in all I think a great deal, especially since I got it to see how I like doing Jelly Rolls without spending a lot of money.

That's terrific! Hope you'll show pictures of what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Got the order from ebay today. I actually isn't loose weaved at all!! I even used hot hot water to test for bleeding...and all is good.I like the colors. The only drawback is variety..only 4 different fabrics. But all in all I think a great deal, especially since I got it to see how I like doing Jelly Rolls without spending a lot of money.
    Hey! on the Ebay web site you were shown that was only 4 different fabrics. So how could that be a drawback? There was a picture of the 4 fabrics.

No, she already mentioned she knew that there weren't many fabrics - I think she was just reiterating the one drawback to this particular jelly roll.

I've tried shopping for charm packs, jelly rolls, etc., and when I can find them locally (which isn't often!), they seem to be overpriced. So I tried shopping online, and was very disappointed when you can't always see which fabrics are in there - I'm not going to buy something I can't see!

But I'm new to all of this - maybe I just need to try some more stores, or do some more shopping to get a feel for these things.

I'm sorely tempted to do like Mama & Grandma did - just take what I have - old clothes, etc., and work with that!

[QUOTE=Pat75;5385543]Call hancocks They are so helpful.I needed to know the size of a print and the lady measured it for me[/QUOTE

You must have a particularly good store, Pat75. Not all Hancocks are that accommodating. In fact, our local one has reviews noting the manager's rudeness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2