Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pardon my ignorance, but... >

Pardon my ignorance, but...

Pardon my ignorance, but...

Old 07-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
I just bought my first Jelly Rolls today on Ebay..They were 14.99 for 50 strips. For that price I figured I can't go wrong, and it will give me the opportunity to work with them before I spend more money on something I might now like.
Just don't expect quilt shop quality when you buy these off of ebay. They are often older fabric, from discount stores or walmart and are just horrid. I bought some to find out why they could sell them so cheap...and now I know...they use very poor fabrics. UNLESS you are buying a "name brand" collection you also run the risk of getting 3-4 strips of just 10 different fabrics! I really pays well to do all of your homework/research and not just go by the $ amount you see.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
I've noticed that the jelly rolls do not always contain 40 strips and the charm packs do not always contain 42 charms but, usually, they are marked on the label.
yep, like at hobby lobby...only 20-22 and so you need to buy 2 of them and it ends up costing more than a GOOD one from Moda! I am not a fan of Moda, but at least their products are better than HL, WM, etc.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 AM

I just bought my first Jelly Rolls today on Ebay..They were 14.99 for 50 strips.
Oh, do share pictures of the fabrics that you get and give us your impressions of the weave, shrinkage, feel of the fabric, etc. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:26 AM

I just bought my first Jelly Rolls today on Ebay..They were 14.99 for 50 strips. For that price I figured I can't go wrong, and it will give me the opportunity to work with them before I spend more money on something I might now like.
I'd like to hear back from you after you receive the jelly rolls -- quality of weave, prints, etc. That certainly is a good price!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 AM

[QUOTE=jaciqltznok;5381842]Just don't expect quilt shop quality when you buy these off of ebay. They are often older fabric, from discount stores or walmart and are just horrid. I bought some to find out why they could sell them so cheap...and now I know...they use very poor fabrics.[/QUOTE

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but you cannot judge every seller by another. I have bought EXCELLENT quality fabric on Ebay that was not name brand fabric. I bought it because it was the color and pattern that I liked not because of the price. I was exactly what I expected, top quality and exactly as described. That has been my experience 99% of the time with Ebay. But I shop carefully.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by janegb View Post
I only buy Charm Packs from Missouri Quilt Co., their Deal of the Day is pretty good, and depends on the makers, some have as little as 22, others have as many as 42. I've got a BIG stack of them, perfect for making almost anything. I signed up with them, last week I ordered one for 99 cents, shipping was as always, $5.00 A nice one. Also ordered a "Twice the Charm"pack with dainty pastel fabrics by Robyn Pandolph with 27.. 5-1/2 by 22 inch" strips, that I can cut into 2-1/2 strips, make 5x5" squares. A great deal there! Its different with different manufacturers.
I always buy from MOSQC.....they are very customer friendly and I love Jennie's you-tube videos
Old 07-21-2012, 06:38 AM

I've only bought one jelly roll, and have bought the charm packs a few times, but it usually says how many.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:53 AM
QKO

In a lot of online shops, you will find product listing pages, and product detail pages. The product listing pages usually contain a list or display of several or many products, each with a very short description.

You can usually click on the product on the product page to get to the product detail page for that product. In good shops, the product detail page will contain a full description of the product, including for instance how many pieces are in the pack.

Running an online quilt shop, we find that a lot of people don't know that you can get more information on any product in many stores by drilling down like this.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
Oh, do share pictures of the fabrics that you get and give us your impressions of the weave, shrinkage, feel of the fabric, etc. Thank you!
I am not expecting the greatest fabric, but after hearing mixed reviews on making the Jelly Roll quilts I wanted to try one and not spend a lot to do it. If I like the process, I want to buy some of the ones I have seen in the online shops. I figure if I don't enjoy making this one, I havent spent a lot to do so..And I could be suprised and nget secent fabric...
I could not load the image, but here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271015925397...84.m1497.l2649

I realize the variety is not great, but will serve the purpose I have for it
Old 07-21-2012, 07:45 AM

I am not expecting the greatest fabric, but after hearing mixed reviews on making the Jelly Roll quilts I wanted to try one and not spend a lot to do it. If I like the process, I want to buy some of the ones I have seen in the online shops. I figure if I don't enjoy making this one, I havent spent a lot to do so..And I could be suprised and nget secent fabric...
I could not load the image, but here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271015925397...84.m1497.l2649

I realize the variety is not great, but will serve the purpose I have for it
I recently made two jelly roll quilts to use up stash, and they are fine. If I can, I will append a picture of one of them. They use a lot of thread, but there are no complicated points to match up! BTW I like the look of that group I saw on your link.
Attached Thumbnails jelly-charity-quilt-1.jpg