Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt seems too short

Quilt seems too short

I want to give my GD the quilt I lovingly made for her with her favorite colors. She is off to college next month. However, because I took so long to finish it ,I think it will be too short in length. I did not take into account that she would grow 2 to 3" taller. It was only the second bigger quilt I made and did not think ahead. I had it LA'd and I sewed the binding on by hand which took me a long time . I don't suppose someone would have an answer to my dilemma? She is going to college in Florida and could use this weight of quilt.

Blog Entries
    Yes I made my daughter a quilt that became too short for her. I made another border by sewing batting backing and front fabric together on one side then adding it around the border of the original quilt to make it bigger. A quilt as you go technique as it were.See Sewing with Nancy's site to get a better explanation on "quilt as you go" as for the additional quilting, if you add 4 finished inches or less you may not have to aorry about it. Good luck-if I can help any further PM me Best stitches

I would give it to her the way it is. I am sure she will love it and use it well.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by biotechlady View Post
    I would give it to her the way it is. I am sure she will love it and use it well.
    How much 'too short' is it?

Were you/she planning to use it as a 'cuddle quilt' or a 'bed quilt'?

Blog Entries
    Give it to her. She will be in bed all cuddled up under it. If it is a lap quilt, she will do the same.

I think I would leave it the way it is, going off to college she will use it as you originally planned it. our daughters snuggled and wrapped in theirs- as did the roommates no size is too small by a few inches

I agree... give it to her as is. My daughter has many quilts I have made all over her house - most are not as tall as she is (5'11"), but she can sure snuggle under them for a nap or TV watching. Your GD will love it because you made it with love....
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I agree, leave it alone, it has the most important thing....your LOVE....nothing more is required.....you can always make another for Christmas.....

Give it to her as is. You will be disappointed if you start to mess with it. I am sure she will love it. Having a quilt to toss on your lap and snuggle under when you pull an all nighter studying is perfect.

I agree. Your grand will love the quilt even if it is just a tad short. You took the time to make it for her on her new adventure, she will feel the warmth of the love radiating from each stitch!

Blog Entries
    Give it to her as a cuddle quilt and send her off with this colorful hug. She'll love it. Don't point out the shortfall and she will never know. Or you can tell her that you'll make her a bed-quilt some other day. She is starting her life as a college student. She will understand that this is from your early quilting career.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

She will love it. Doesn't matter if it is a tad short. I made a quilt for my potential step-son and yes, it was too short but he wouldn't let me take it back and lengthen it. It was perfect. He only needed it for cuddle value since a sheet is usually warm enough (he's also in Fl, just finished freshmen year).

It's easy to add length, but it depends on what you made as to how well it looks.